Woodturningz Cigar Kits, which end is which

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeremy

Either I lost the instructions or I didn't get them. Which is the short blank, the nib or the cap end? And um, if you just sort of guessed is there any way to modify it to work the opposite way?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

The long tube is always the lower tube in every two tube kit I ever used. Someone might know of a kit that isn't that way though.

Hmm...easiest way to modify the pen due to your error would probably be to do something refill related. I think I'd go for the Fisher Space Pen refill. This refill is shorter than a parker refill and when you buy one from the store, it comes with an adaptor sleeve to adapt the fisher refill's length to be the same as a parker refill. So...first I would install just the fisher refill with the parker spring installed on the tip section of the refill as per the norm. Now if the fisher is a perfect fit..great. If the fisher is a little bit short of sticking out the nib, then you can modify the extension piece that comes with it to add a bit of length or make your own little extension piece. The pen will become a fisher refill only pen...so once you have the extension peice worked out..you will re-use that peice every time you refill the pen.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Don't guess

Either I lost the instructions or I didn't get them. Which is the short blank, the nib or the cap end? And um, if you just sort of guessed is there any way to modify it to work the opposite way?
Most common pen styles you can find instructions at the website where you bought them or PSI or email the seller and ask for them. I don't send instructions with all of my kits because most folks don't need them, those who do usually email and I either email them or sent the folks to a site where they can get them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Diagnose the problem!!

You've turned the short piece to be too thin to make it into the top again, so you need to lengthen it. Add "oops rings" to the two ends of that piece, to make it the appropriate lower barrel length. You will likely have to epoxy your fittings into the ends, since they will be IN the brass tubes, but not very far in.

Then shorten the long tube which has become your "upper" tube. This dimension is relatively critical to correct operation of the pen, so be a little careful with measurements.

IF you have extra tubes, it is much faster to throw away your mistakes.:eek::eek::eek:

BTDT!!

(Of course, I MEAN, I have a FRIEND who has BTDT!!! I would never do something so careless!!!):confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

toddlajoie

IF you have extra tubes, it is much faster to throw away your mistakes.:eek::eek::eek:

BTDT!!

(Of course, I MEAN, I have a FRIEND who has BTDT!!! I would never do something so careless!!!):confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a coincidence... I have a FRIEND who's BDTD too, more than once!!!

Also, if it is a material that does not have a matched pattern (my "friend" made this mistake with Invisavue blanks, which don't really have a pattern to line up) you can still use the longer blank, and use your squaring mill to bring it back down to the right length (you'll need to re-turn since you'll be above the bushings now as the upper barrel's dimmensions are the larger pair of the 2) and use part of a new blank to re-make the upper (shorter) barrel, and in the end, you'll still have enough of the new blank left over to make a Sierra or Patriot pen....

Last edited:

glen r

I've done the same thing but very shortly after emailing Ryan at Woodturningz and asking for the directions I had an email in my inbox with the instructions. I'm sure that most sellers will do the same if you bought the kits from them - maybe even if you didn't.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've done the same thing but very shortly after emailing Ryan at Woodturningz and asking for the directions I had an email in my inbox with the instructions. I'm sure that most sellers will do the same if you bought the kits from them - maybe even if you didn't.

:biggrin::biggrin:VERY manly!!! ALWAYS read the directions:biggrin::biggrin:---right after you screw one up!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You've turned the short piece to be too thin to make it into the top again, so you need to lengthen it. Add "oops rings" to the two ends of that piece, to make it the appropriate lower barrel length. You will likely have to epoxy your fittings into the ends, since they will be IN the brass tubes, but not very far in.

Then shorten the long tube which has become your "upper" tube. This dimension is relatively critical to correct operation of the pen, so be a little careful with measurements.

BTDT!!

On the otherhand I have a small metal basket...actually 2 of them both over half full where I stick the ones that have tiny imperfections due to gremlins attacking the pens while I was asleep or teeny weeny mistakes due to the fact that I forgot my specticles and because of my advanced years missed seeing something.

Top Bottom