Wooden Spin Top

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

kludge77

Sycamore wood turned into a classic wooden spin top. I thought vintage toys we're suppose to be easy to use?!

uCbzHwJl.jpg

Roughing out the blank

lAx3QCCl.jpg

Shaping the top

ZMPs9t1l.jpg

After a handful of dynamic design choices I settled on this shape!

0kGKygPl.jpg

Covering all my sins & tearout with sandpaper....

FiZMG4Tl.jpg

Considering that I was about to start throwing this at the ground I'm glad I got a shot of it first!

NNxWqlrl.jpg

Completed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_oAoQLpIBw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

WOW, that brings back memories. I was one of the few kids that could throw one of those. They took a little time to master. I doubt I could do it anymore.

D.Oliver

You're videos are so entertaining. I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I chuckled a little louder every time that top didn't spin. Keep up the great work.

GaryMGg

Great looking top.
We used to play for hours on end; sometimes kinda rough--we had a game called Cracktop (a.k.a. Keeper).
Some of us had a lot of tops.
The tops we played with had a metal tip like these:
$(KGrHqZ,!rgE-dKvgiFNBPzlk5yu4w~~60_12.JPG

Now you've got me adding something to my project list. :eek:

kludge77

You're videos are so entertaining. I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I chuckled a little louder every time that top didn't spin. Keep up the great work.

Thanks!

I put it there for laughing at, so that cool! :biggrin: The birds thought the whole process was a joke!

kludge77

Great looking top.
We used to play for hours on end; sometimes kinda rough--we had a game called Cracktop (a.k.a. Keeper).

Those are some vicious spikes! I presume they spin well on concrete?

GaryMGg

Hi Peter,

They spin great on concrete and blacktop.
The "point" was usually somewhat rounded so they're not quite as vicious as they appear.
We played a game called Cracktop or Keeptop.
There was a chalk circle and everyone put at least one top in the center.
Then, players had to drive other tops out of the circle--you kept what you captured.
IIRC--it's been a long, long time ago--one of the more aggressive moves was to throw one of these onto the center of the pile
and try to blow as many tops out of the center beyond the circle (think bowling pins)
BUT you could only keep them if your top was spinning when the others landed beyond the perimeter.

I wonder if any other older folks who grew up in a Northeast city remember this?

Great looking top.

I haven't thrown a top in years... not since they were banned at my school in the fourth grade for playing keeper... they called it gambling?

I have a small collection that goes back to my dad's hand carved tops with sharpened screws for the points. PSI or CSUSA sold a kit for a while, may still... I bought a couple a few years back and made one... it worked pretty well when I tested it. We didn't use a button on the end of the string... I had a loop that fit over my ring finger on the right hand... more control that way.

BTW, that was a nice top in the OP

Top Bottom