Wooden Center Band Take 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DavidSpavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSpavin

I wasn't happy with the choice of woods in the first 2 pens, so I made this one.

2007102017483_WoodenCenterband03.jpg

20071020174817_WoodenCenterband03CloseUp.jpg

Better combination of colours, well I think so :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Stan

I like the close up picture. It shows very nice clean cuts. Some people will not notice but some will notice the detail to which you cut and finish. You have inspired me to start doing this, something that has been on my mind for some time.

Not intending to change the intent of the post but I would like to know one aspect of how you achieve the fine cuts as it relates to the BS blade.

What kind of bandsaw blade are you using? Brand, size (1/4, 3/16, 1/8) tooth number and configuration? I am having a tough time getting smooth cuts no matter how slow I go. I have spent several hours fine tuning my BS. I have several blades in the 1/4 size, most custom made, but they leave irregular (vertical) grooves. Tension has been adjusted through ranges and I still get the same thing.

I am even contemplating taking a blade and working with it to change the tooth offset, one by one, in an attempt to get a "smooth" cut. This would be a last resort but since no cuts would be more than an inch long, I don't see a down side except the time and detail of re-setting the teeth. I have several 1/8 blades but have not tried these yet. That is what I have planned to try for today.

Your blade input would be welcome. Thanks.

DavidSpavin

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />Stan

Not intending to change the intent of the post but I would like to know one aspect of how you achieve the fine cuts as it relates to the BS blade.

What kind of bandsaw blade are you using? Brand, size (1/4, 3/16, 1/8) tooth number and configuration? I am having a tough time getting smooth cuts no matter how slow I go. I have spent several hours fine tuning my BS. I have several blades in the 1/4 size, most custom made, but they leave irregular (vertical) grooves. Tension has been adjusted through ranges and I still get the same thing.

I am even contemplating taking a blade and working with it to change the tooth offset, one by one, in an attempt to get a "smooth" cut. This would be a last resort but since no cuts would be more than an inch long, I don't see a down side except the time and detail of re-setting the teeth. I have several 1/8 blades but have not tried these yet. That is what I have planned to try for today.

Your blade input would be welcome. Thanks.
This may come as a surprise but I use a 5/8 inch blade (Its the largest my saw will take) with 4 TPI in the skipform. I am not an expert on band saws (they all say that!!) but the skip form of teeth allows for cleaner removal of waste and so, I think, helps the blade stay stable. This stability also increases with blade width. If there are any experts out there, your opinion would be gratefully received.[:)]
I have created a new post for this question.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29069

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom