Woodcraft's Metro Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Rick
Virtually all of Woodcraft's (and Rockler's) products are actually Berea sets that are usually available elsewhere at a substantial discount.

In the case of the Metro, this may be an item that Berea supplies exclusively to Woodcraft. USUALLY, when this happens, at a later date, Berea will make the same hardware available to all distributors with a different name. The Navigator/Baron immediately comes to mind.

To my knowledge, the Metro is currently only available at Woodcraft.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

brownsfn2

At least one vendor (exotics) has already been selling these as the Virage RB and Fountain. The kit is very affordable and offers some more shaping possibilities to the body of the pen. I would not call it a high end kit though. I do like it and it is nice to have a mid priced pen to sell that is not the Atrax. :)

You should try some. I think they show off acrylics very well. Also they sold well for me this Christmas.

Have fun!

PenMan1

Thanks for the info, Ron. I did just check BHWs website for Virage. It looks almost identical to Woodcraft's Metro. Berea's price -$12.50 for one, Woodcraft -$14.99.

Additionally, it appears that Woodcraft only sells Metro in upgrade gold. BHW and several of BHW distributors offer the Virage in chrome, too.

Last edited:

beck3906

Thanks.

I haven't made any of these but they are on my list to make a few for spring shows. I saw the Woodcraft sales flyer and had not associated the kits with anything else. Worth investing in a few kits to offer an alternative in mid-range prices.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rick
Virtually all of Woodcraft's (and Rockler's) products are actually Berea sets that are usually available elsewhere at a substantial discount.

In the case of the Metro, this may be an item that Berea supplies exclusively to Woodcraft. USUALLY, when this happens, at a later date, Berea will make the same hardware available to all distributors with a different name. The Navigator/Baron immediately comes to mind.

To my knowledge, the Metro is currently only available at Woodcraft.

I hope this helps.
Probably at least partly due to losing control of the name Sierra, BHW probably asks some of the people they 'build to spec' for to rename the kit. I know for sure Rockler, and I think Woodcraft as well have reserved the right to use that kit design from other suppliers just in case something bad happens to Berea and they need to restock. That would also account for getting it only in a finish(s) they support.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Thanks for the info, Ron. I did just check BHWs website for Virage. It looks almost identical to Woodcraft's Metro. Berea's price -$12.50 for one, Woodcraft -$14.99.

Additionally, it appears that Woodcraft only sells Metro in upgrade gold. BHW and several of BHW distributors offer the Virage in chrome, too.

Yeah... check out exoticblanks.... $7.25 each.

longbeard

Exoticblanks has those (virage) also. I've noticed to that when woodcraft has a sale, their sale price is still higher than most other vendors regular price (if your mail ordering)Just my .01 cent worth.

Matthew beat me
Thats what i get for watching tv and trying to type.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Exoticblanks has those (virage) also. I've noticed to that when woodcraft has a sale, their sale price is still higher than most other vendors regular price (if your mail ordering)Just my .01 cent worth.

Matthew beat me
Thats what i get for watching tv and trying to type.
Woodcraft are great box stores, but they do not specialize in pen kits they are aimed at general woodworkers - hence pen kits are probably not their price leaders.

pensbydesign

remember a woodcraft store is a Franchize, and pays fees on every sale , rent, has to keep the lights on and stafed, ir easy to lower price if you dont have to pay these

brownsfn2

Woodcraft is a great store. It is a nice place to go and look at, touch, and test drive before you buy. Unfortunately for Woodcraft they do have to sell at high prices since they have that overhead. It is the same with all Brick and Mortar stores. It is too bad because it is nice to have a place that you can go to in person to shop. They also help out in a jam if you can't wait for shipping. I buy from them every once in a while but most of my shopping is done online. It would be nice if they found a way to operate that was more competitive with online. That way we can keep them around. (Although it seems they are doing fine)

Top Bottom