Woodcraft Professional Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brandon25

Anyone had trouble with this mandrel? It's the collet style one. I tightened the collet nut, and then when I loosened it the mandrel shaft was stuck. I mean really stuck. I returned it, thinking it was defective, and the next one I didnt tighten as much. But when I went to finger tighten the knurled nut, the mandrel shaft was still able to move, so I snugged it up a little bit more, and once I tried to loosen it the shaft is almost stuck again. It's like the collet is not flexible enough or something, and so when I tighten it, the collet stays permanently bent in or something. I think I'm just going to return it and get a refund if I can't figure this out.

Thanks,
Brandon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I'm beginning to have reservations about Woodcraft. PSI has a similar mandrel. Theirs is not unique in my opinion. I have one and it is one of my favorites. The only time the rod gets stuck is when I get carried away with the glue. Send it back and try the PSI one.

philthephlier

stuck mandrel

I have the one from Penn State. It releases fine even after being snugged up pretty tight. I turn only one barrel at a time because I do not think the 7MM diameter is beefy enough to handle both barrels. I used to turn both but I was finding the need to straighten the mandrel too often and I'm sure over time the steel would work harden and eventually crack. The mandrel turns much truer with only one barrel also. It adds a few minutes to each pen but the precision is much easier to control. I don't know who makes the Penn State version, maybe I just got lucky.

hrigg

Are you talking about a collet chuck or a mandrel? I have a couple different Woodcraft mandrels I use in an Axminster collet and don't have any problems. Granted, I do have to use the lathe's knockout rod to free the mandrel, but it's not a big deal to me. At least I know the mandrel isn't going to spin while I'm turning.

ldb2000

Harry he's talking about the MT2 adjustable mandrel (it's a collet type mandrel) it allows you to adjust the length of the mandrel rod .
I use the PSI version and have never had a problem with the mandrel rod getting stuck .

Nick

I as well use a PSI version, like Paul the only time I have problems is when CA leaks through. Possibly there is a burr or something within the collet itself on the Woodcraft version.

brez

I have used the Woodcraft mandrel and I have not had any problems with the mandrel sticking in the collet. You just have to tighten the collet snug, don't over tighten it.

Mike

Brandon25

I have used the Woodcraft mandrel and I have not had any problems with the mandrel sticking in the collet. You just have to tighten the collet snug, don't over tighten it.

Mike

I thought the first one was a bad egg, since I dont recall trying to slide the shaft before I tightened it for the first time. So I returned it. Then I thought maybe I tightened it too much and sorta bent the collet closed too much. So I didn't tighten as much on the new one. It was too loose, and the shaft moved still, so I just tightened a little bit more, and just enough to make the shaft hold in place. Then tried to loosen, and the shaft is all but stuck. It still slides a little, but requires a knockout bar to extend the shaft, or a bang on the workbench to shorten it. I cant understand why it would be like this.

Either way, thanks for the recommendations for the PSI mandrel, but I'm scoring a load of used pen stuff from a guy tomorrow, and he has two 7mm mandrels, one of which is fixed, the other is I think an old silver version of the same collet chuck. It looks the same, but is silver, and every other item the guy has is from Woodcraft, so I'm guessing that's where he got it. Hopefully one of these works out. If not, I'll nab the shaft from one of 'em and chuck it up in the Jacobs chuck. That should do it.

Fred

If you can get the shaft out of the collet, look closely at the point where the edge of the collet was gripping the shaft. See if there is a grip ring where the sharp edges of the collet were cutting into the shaft.

If you find such a mark try lightly buffing the very end edges of the collet itself and see if that does the trick. Just a little buffing mind you NOT ream the heck out of it.

Then be sure the collet is very clean through and through. Just a little bit of crud - filings, etc. - can be enough to cause the collet surfaces and the shaft to get caught and stuck.

Also, be very sure the collet is squared up to the nut as you tighten it. If it is lop sided at all that too can cause the collet edges to 'dig in' and grab onto the shaft.

I always clean my collets with denatured alcohol when I first get them home. It is amazing as the manufacturing remains that one quite often finds. It is almost as bad as getting a new gouge home and having to sharpen it before it cuts like one wants it to cut. That is also standard practice here for me - sharpen before you use them!

Just my standard $0.02 worth of some 26 years of limited experience ... :)

nava1uni

I use the Woodcraft adjustable mandrel and it has never gotten stuck. I do clean it of all grit etc. I tend to clean everything when I am finished using it and it makes all the difference is how well things work and wear.

Al_T

I have the Woodcraft professional mandrel and mine got stuck right off. I took the collet out and there was a little bur on the top edge. I took some 1200 wet or dry paper and polished it a little and also inside the mandrel and it works great. It never gets stuck and is very accurate.

Good Luck

Alan

jrc

Put a small washer on first, then the bushings and blanks, then loosen the nut to adjust it. Never try to adjust it without the washer, blanks and bushings. I do not understand why they sell them without suppling a washer and instructions. I read this same post every few months. You have to have a washer on first or a large bushing. I'll post a photo later today.

marionquill

I have this mandrel from woodcraft and love it. It does get stuck, but a simple wiggle up and down losens it up just fine. You'll probably have that problem with any collet type mandrel.

Jason

toolcrazy

I have one of the PSI models and have never had it stick on me. Only problems I had with it was run out. I gave up on mandrels, totally. And now turn between centers.

Top Bottom