Woodchuck v Hunter turning tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jriechel

While I've read a bunch about the Woodchuck tool, I haven't had the same luck regarding the Hunter. Can anyone give some feedback on the Hunter tool, or give some compelling rationale for choosing one of these designs over the other?

For me, one of these things represents a chunk of change, so I'm hesitant about ordering one without making an informed decision.

Much appreciated,

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

Several varieties of carbide tools on the market and homemade too. All work as advertised so boils down to features initial cost of tools with or without handles and cost of replacement cutters.

So look for tool that gives best bang for the bucks, don't forget shipping cost too!
Last time looked into carbide tools Woodchuck had best price including shipping.

I don't own any carbide tools yet and may never buy one!

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
While I've read a bunch about the Woodchuck tool, I haven't had the same luck regarding the Hunter. Can anyone give some feedback on the Hunter tool, or give some compelling rationale for choosing one of these designs over the other?

For me, one of these things represents a chunk of change, so I'm hesitant about ordering one without making an informed decision.

Much appreciated,

Jeff
I have a Woodchuck, and when I use it, I use the 4" rad. cutter.

I test drove a Hunter with the 3/8" cutter graciously donated to me by Mike Hunter for testing. I found the 3/8" cutter too aggressive for me and passed it on to a turner friend who is quite enamoured with it.

My go to tool now is the Rotondo with a 3/4" round cutter.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49364 There is quite a lot of discussion on this thread regarding the Rotondo.
http://wood-of-1-kind.webs.com/tools.htm This tool is distributed from Canada by a member on IAP (wood-of-1kind, Peter Cribari). I purchased mine unhandled. Here's a pic!
attachment.php

I have no connection with the Rotondo other than owning one. I do count Peter Cribari as a personal friend as well, but if the Rotondo wasn't capable of doing what I bought it to do, I would tell him as well as you with no hesitation!

Attachments

• Rotondo (Small).jpg
    Rotondo (Small).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:

PenMan1

I, too, prefer the Woodchuck Pen Pro to the Hunter. I use the R2 cutter instead of the R4 cutter because I tend to put a little flair into pen bodies rather than turning bushing to bushing. The R2 seems to give me a little more freedom. The R4 seems to like to cut straight lines.

Additionally, I ended up modifying my handle to a 4 inch handle. With the longer handle, the temptation was too great to "apply pressure" to the tool. The Woodchuck cuts so easily and smoothly that applying pressure is a BAD thing.

bitshird

I have a hard time cutting straight lines with a round insert tool, even the large one we use in our big unitool, I keep getting wavy surfaces, other guys like Mackc and Jeff Powell work wonders with the Rotondo,
I do like the large round 18mm inserts for doing bowl work, but my go to pen tool is a Woodchuck Pen Pro with the 2 inch radius insert,

RogerH

Don't know anything about the Hunter, but I have a Rockler carbide tool and just got a Woodchuck Pen Pro for Christmas. I have done demos with several Easy Tool brand carbide chisels.

I wish I could find something nice to say about the Rockler. I simply cannot control the thing. On the rare ocassions when I get it to cut correctly, it yields beautiful smooth cuts. Then, within 15 seconds, it catches, and all hell breaks loose. Either the blank stops and the lathe screams, the tool almost comes out of my hands, or I gouge or shatter the blank. I bought it because it was on sale, and much cheaper than the Easy Tool, several of which I used as a demo once and liked ok. I strongly suspect the Rockler tool is uncontrollable because it has a very long handle, so tiny movements of the handle, even when you don't realize you have moved it, sometimes translate into disaster. I definately would not buy it again. I may try shortening the handle.

The Woodchuck Pen Pro is night and day different. It takes getting used to, and I admit I still like my Sorby tools better. But unlike the Rocker, it is SUPER controlable, I suspect that is because, in large part, it has such a short handle. It also produces extremely fine cuts, but it does demand patience. Basically, all carbide tools are capable of cutting faster than the material can handle, so if I push any carbide tool even a little too much I get an explosion. But the Pen Pro is SO MUCH MORE PREDICTABLE than other carbide tools. I still think it is more difficult to "read" than my Sorby's but overall I like it and will keep learning to use it.

Hope that was of some use to you. Bottom line-if you want a carbide tool for pens, buy the Pen Pro. BTW, I don't know bitshird, so this is a totally objective opinion.

randyrls

Jeff; Rather than one tool over another, the angle of the carbide cutter is most important. An acute angle of 30 to 45° is better for wood, but is two grabby for acrylic. An angle of 75 to 80° peels off long ribbons of any acrylic material you need to turn. This includes some of the hardest of the Trustones.

Hope this helps.

Wingdoctor

I have had the #3 Hunter for a while and I do not like it for pens. It does good for end grain hollowing and that is where I use it.

I just received my Woodchuck Pen Pro on Tuesday of his week and I have only turned 2 pens with it so far, but it is the best tool for pens that I have used. I turned a piece of Diamonwood and it was so smooth that I went straight to 400 Abranet before CA finishing. The Pen Pro rocks! Using the corner to rough and the center to finish as suggested works great.

I bought mine without a handle as I wanted to make my own and you do save a few dollars by doing so.

el_d

I have had my wood chuck for a while now and since I got it I have neglected ALL my other tools. For me it is by far my most used tool in my arsenal, heck its my only tool I ever use. I even used it for my first bowl.

The Woodchuck hollowed out that bowl like nobody's business. I used the longer handled version, my preference, for all the roughing and final turning. the only other tool used was sandpaper, on the inside, to remove some small ridges near the corner.

Ive never used the Hunter, Never had to.

nativewooder

To my mind, you are trying to compare two different styles of tools with different types of cutters My "Hunter Tool" is great for bowls, platters, and hollow forms, especially deep hollow forms. The "Woodchuck" is my choice for smaller forms and pens. I refuse to limit myself to using one particular type of tool to a particular type of turning. And it shows sometimes on my "wall of experience"!:eek:

LEAP

I have a couple of the hunters and a pen pro. The pen pro gets much more use for pens and spindle work. I use the hunters for bowls and other hollowing. For pens you can't go wrong with the pen pro.

Joe Burns

I bought my easy turner from CSUSA before I heard about the others earlier this year. Looks similar to the wood chuck and works fine for me. Wanting to get a wood chuck this spring.

Joe

Rangertrek

The Woodchuck tools are my go to tools in the shop. I have both a pen pro and a long handle version. I use these for almost everything along with a skew. I use both of the radius cutters depending on what I am cutting and the shapes.

jriechel

Thanks everyone for the perspectives. I now feel that I have a much clearer idea of the difference between these tools.

Randy, your comment about angles is interesting. Are you referring to the angle between the cutting face and the material, which we have control over by how high/low we hold the tool, or the angle between the faces of the cutter itself, which is set by the manufacturer? Seems likely that both are at play.

Jeff

KenV

I use the hunter/eliminator for difficult blanks - and especially the ends. Brittle snake skin blanks are good for a sharp cutting edge. The smaller one work better for pens - and I grab the skew followed by shear scraper for finish work in almost all cases. (Yes, I have one of Ken's Pen Pros and use it for lots of intermediate turning and shaping - good tool!!)

Shear scraper is the cats meow for cleaning up ridges on CA glue too --

Last edited:
Top Bottom