Woodchuck Pen Pro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PMisiaszek

I've been using my WPP on hard materials, like Tru-Stone and antler, and I am losing my sharp edges faster than I'd like. Have you had any success in honing or sharpening the edge? I know there was a thread on this sometime in the past, but I can't find it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensmyth

I have the Easy Wood versions of the Wood Chuck. When mine start to dull I hone them on a fine diamond file and it seems to bring the edge back nicely.

rjwolfe3

Didn't know you could dull or sharpen the carbide cutters. Learn something new everyday. I will have to see if I can pick up a diamond file, I was just going to throw them away and use new ones.

bitshird

A diamond Hone will work, just do the top, flat part of the insert, Just out of curiosity, how many pens are you getting per edge?? and which material.

PenMan1

When I cut those materials, I just keep dipping the insert in ice water. Seems to make it last much longer. I've cut about 300 pens on 3 inserts, many tru stone and several alumimum ( I have a seperate insert just for aluminum).

When I cut aluminum or stainless steel ( and I know the tool is not recommended for steel) I use an oil called, believe it or not "cool tool" . The material cuts easily and the insert does make the little "ridges" like it does without oil.

Another "TRICK" that I learned with the Chuckie on acrylic (pr) is to put a big fan on full blast right behind my shoulder. The Woodchuck throws such a ribbon that the fan helps to blow the "PR Stringer" right into the dust collector without wrapping around the blank. I LOVE THIS TOOL!

Last edited:

bitshird

It's also not recommended for Chuck jaws or the edges of spur drives, you should see my 2 inch bowl jaws,:eek: and a couple of my spurs:beat-up:.. ""Damn those woodchucks"" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PenMan1

All joking aside here, the inserts on the Woodchuck are sharper than me!

I keep a few rounded sticks of GA Pecan wood in a trash bin. I make mostly acrylic, Tru-stone, et. al, not many wood pens anymore.

Before I put a new woodchuck insert edge on Tru-stone , sea shells, etc, I cut a couple of the "rock hard" pecan blanks into something. The Chuckie is so sharp that if you don't take VERY light cuts with a new insert, it will expose all of you shortcomings in PR casting.

Top Bottom