Wood vs Alumilite and acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

In the last "Trust Smitty" buy, I received two really nice kits. I usually use less expensive kits as I donate and give my pens away. The alumilite blanks that were part of the offer are nice, but I think I want to use some very classy wood that I have collected over the years. I know it is a personal choice, but I am just wondering if you like to use wood or the synthetics. Are the synthetics more popular with buyers?

zig613

I use about 90% wood/burls for my pens. It is both a personal preference and for selling. I simply like working with wood better, and since I have a forestry business, the majority of my pen sales generally occur through some aspect of my business and the people buying prefer wood/burls over man-made materials.

Wade

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Herb,

Ask anyone who does "art and craft" venues and they will tell you resins will outsell wood at least 9 to one. Also observe, MontBlanc, Shaeffer, Lamy, etc all make "plastic pens", not wood (with rare exceptions that are special promotions).

However, if you want a "natural" product that will sell well, Feather blanks, seashell, deer antler can all be successfully marketed as high end pens.

Wood CAN be sold, but the buyer is usually a guy who just loves wood. Most of the people who attend shows are women buying for themselves or presents for friends--they will not pick wood, often.

Kenny Durrant

I enjoy making the blanks as much as I enjoy turning pens. The only casting I do is embedding, which is anything from coins, stamps, skins or whatever else I think will work. I still use a lot of wood as well as antler to build my pens. When someone takes out one of my pens to use I want those around to be able to tell that it's not a store bought pen. That being said I don't think one material is better than the other it just depends on what you like and or what you want the final product to look like.

Top Bottom