Wood Types & Descriptions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eskimo

I have been compiling a spreadsheet with Wood Types, Alternate Names, Description, Origin & Comments. It has been very helpful when preparing my detail cards for completed pens.

I'm not able to post the spreadsheet to the site, but let me know if you would like me to e-mail a copy to you.

Also, if anyone knows of any sites that can provide any additional information to flesh out the detail, please note them.

Thanks, Bob Quinn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Hi Bob,
if your spreadsheet is .xls format I would appreciate a copy. Additional info. regarding wood types including pics can be found @ hobbithouse.

-Peter-[:)]

eskimo

Please note that I can only e-mail within Penturners.org and cannot attach a file without your email address. If you like, you can email me at robert.d.quinn@gmail.com and I will reply with the spreadsheet attached.

Thanks, Bob Quinn

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by eskimo
<br />Please note that I can only e-mail within Penturners.org and cannot attach a file without your email address. If you like, you can email me at robert.d.quinn@gmail.com and I will reply with the spreadsheet attached.

Thanks, Bob Quinn

E-mail send. It should be very interesting. An e-friend in the exotic wood export business has written stating that classification of trees is one of sciences worst organized areas. Often scientists will 'discover' a tree, and give it a name without knowning that it already has been 'discovered' one or a dozen times previously. There is no world-wide clearing house.

PenPal

Thanks Eskimo,I will try just listing those timbers I have in Aussie timbers may have a hundred or so different timbers but I type only with one index finger so I will write it first with a view to.
For sharing I thank you received today. Best wishes Peter.

soundman

There was a bloke on the ausie forum that had some sort of online project going at one time... I don't know what happend to it but it would have to be vast.

I don't know what its like else where but here there are a lot of various spicies.
thenthere are quasi generic names that apply to a number of very different spicies.

Silky Oak for instance
many will know of gravilia robusta and cardwellia sublimis... known as northern & southern (i can never remember which is which) but they are very different, particu;arly when you make pens out of them.
one is usualy more goldy the other is usulay more pinky
But the there are the other 20 or 30 spiecies "commonly" refered to as silky oak....most completely different spiecies.

It could become a realy big job.

sounds like a wiki project

I hope you do well.

cheers

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Bob, You might try these two sites. I have found them helpful.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/indextotal.htm This takes a while to load.

www.countyfloors.com/about_species.html

I hope I copied these links correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom