Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What material do you use for your custom writing instruments?

Comments very welcome-I turn 90% plastic, but I certainly understand people who like wood better.

UPDATE: Dateline 10/13 noon CDT, one out of four who have opened this topic have hit a radial button!!! :(:(:( To that one, THANKS, to the other three-what's so hard about hitting a BUTTON????? C'mon, you CAN do this!!! Lets shoot for 100 more responses in the next 24 hours!!

Thanks, Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

In my case I don't consider myself "pen maker" as much as a "wood worker/turner" that also makes pens. I have yet to make an entire pen out of anything but wood.

JimGo

I love wood pens - they feel nice in your hand, and you can get some amazing grain movement. But you can't beat the "plastics" for the range of colors!

BogBean

I wonder why Ed did not include 100% wood? I never turn plastic. I just can't see myself turning plastic...[8)]

btboone

I'm with Ed on this one. The look of some select high end acrylics can be pretty fancy. I do like burls and nicely grained wood too though. What! No option for titanium!? [:D]

mick

I love turning wood, seeing the grain patterns come out, but at the same time I get a kick out of polishing the different acrylics and celluloids, not to mention my "homebrews" and seeing the swirls and blends appear. At our last show the "plastics" outsold my wooden pens 3 to 1. Go figure!

Bill Collier

I have turned both wood and a few plastics. I definately prefer wood. Somehow plastics make it feel less unique and custom made to me possibly because of all the industrially made plasic pens on the market. Wood has a soul, a life, a story to tell. Wow, that sounds very deep, I think I'll go lie down now.

tinker

I have sold about 12 of wood and 8 plastic, but the plastics seem to be gaining on the wood due to the female influx of customers. The males seem to prefer wood over plastic.
That said, I don't consider stabilized woods as true wood pens because it has been altered. My own preference is a nice burl that will always be a one off and never duplicated.

Deere41h

It depends upon the mood and what the current design is I am working on. I think some look better in plastic (home brew PR, Lucite or Corian) and some better in wood. I sell both and demand seems to be about 50 - 50.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Since the question was,
Poll Question:
"What material do you use for your custom writing instruments?"
I just want to make sure-
Bics are plastic right?
I can't afford one of my own pens.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Since the question was,
Poll Question:
Bics are plastic right?

Another category I forgot, the "Wood made to look like acrylic" category now gets 1 vote. Thanks eagle!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Since the question was,
Poll Question:
Bics are plastic right?

Another category I forgot, the "Wood made to look like acrylic" category now gets 1 vote. Thanks eagle!
Uhhh
Not sure I agree with that.[:D]
I think some of the acrylics were inspired by burls and the wavy grain patterns to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom