Wood migration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hexhead

I find that when I segment pens if I have a light wood and dark wood next to each other, when I sand I get a migration of the dark wood into the light discoloring it. I was wondering if sealing it before sanding it would stop this. I just like to know before I mess up another piece.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I would try blowing off the surface with compressed air or shop vac. Then use shop vac to remove any remaining sanding dust.

If that does not get it all wipe down surface with solvent to remove remaining wood dust before putting on a sealer coat.

Would then apply seal cost to keep dark wood from bleeding into light wood.
Have used alcohol, lacquer thinner as solvent for that task mineral spirits will work too as long as not using waterborne finish.

Wildman

Wood finishing solvent include; alcohol, lacquer thinner, naphtha, and mineral spirits used for mixing with and diluting film or oil finishes.

In addition, those solvents used to clean and do not seal surface of wood. They will clean and eventually evaporate. Water on wrung out damp cloth can also clean wood surface.

Seal coats normally a one or two pound cut of shellac, or other thinned film finish.

Color migration (bleeding) of darker wood into light colored wood not uncommon when wet sanding raw wood or applying finish in segment turnings.

Can reduce that problem sometimes with wood species selection, but not always. Dry sand only removing sanding dust as work through grits. Apply sealer coat of finish to light colored wood only before applying top coat.

Sorry for confusion!

jttheclockman

I find that when I segment pens if I have a light wood and dark wood next to each other, when I sand I get a migration of the dark wood into the light discoloring it. I was wondering if sealing it before sanding it would stop this. I just like to know before I mess up another piece.

Thanks

My answer to this problem is always "do not sand" Learn to use the skew and go from finished turning to finishing.

Top Bottom