Wood ID

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OldWrangler

My grandson who is in college and works for CVS full time came by a couple of days ago with a 1/2 pickup load of logs from storm debris that never got picked up. Everything all chainsawed up in the right lengths and now stacked in a dry area until needed. There is some oak, some sassafras, holly and a lot of this wonderful wood.

Now I know what this is but when I cut into these logs, the color and figure is terrific. See what you think and take a guess. No big prizes or anything, just like to see how many of you can ID this.

One hint....it smell great while cutting or turning. It's hard, strong and native here. Take a look and let me know.

Attachments

• dt 1.jpg
    dt 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 168
  • dt2.jpg
    dt2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 133
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OldWrangler

Nope and nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't think this would be this hard. The wood is local to much of the country. It grows in profusion here. Not a real big tree but one in my back yard is 25' tall and about a 1' thick trunk.

Here's a giveaway clue.....it has berrys that the birds eat, at least blue jays and cardinals. Now you'll get it.

OldWrangler

Nope, nope, nope, mesquite(?????) and nope. Shame on yew Dave Lee. I've just been waiting for you to answer this and the best yew got is Balsa berry. And no, it is not Yew. This one is even more common.

OK, the give away clue of all thyme is that a species of this is grown for it's leaves. Now you all can guess it together....who will be the first??

OldWrangler

Come on Dave.....Ilex is some kind of Holly but it is a solid white wood with no color or character.

Another hint.....it grows in Europe as well as Africa and the Americas.

picture of berries.... Hell, I might as well tell you!!!!!! Next clue will be a picture of the leaves....later.

Attachments

• berries.jpg
    berries.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 102

OldWrangler

Rob, I'm plum-proud to have a nearby Houstonian get the answer. I thought this was gonna be easy but there were a lot of guesses before you nailed it. Good old Sweet Bay, Bay Laurel or Bayberry. I am really enjoying turning some of it that is still wet. Gonna let it rest a while before using any more. I do want to cut a couple of blanks I can dry slowly to see what kind of pen it makes.

Here is something I turned from a small limb. This was fun. I saw a tutorial on YouTube for this ofset turning and just wanted to try it. Pretty cool, huh!!!!!!

Thanks for all the interest and to those who took a shot.

Attachments

• offset turning.jpg
    offset turning.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 155
Top Bottom