Wood Harvesting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I just came across a You Tube video which I found interesting and it relates to our hobby/avocation. Look up Ponsse Scorpion King on YouTube. A wood harvesting machine that cuts through the trunk of the tree, then turns the tree to horizontal and cuts off the branches and cuts it into lengths - all in a matter of a couple of minutes. Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox have met their match.. It was interesting to me and may be to you as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2SwTK6p72U

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

At about 30 seconds per tree, that takes a lot of the work and danger out of a logging operation. They actually had a machine somewhat similar to that when I went to college in the late 1960s that clipped off the trees with giant hydraulic shears and fed it into it's belly where it was de-limbed and cut to length and loaded directly onto a cart like that it towed behind it. When the cart was full, the driver disconnected it and left it for tractor drivers to drag it out of the woods. I didn't get to work with that cool stuff. They gave me chain saw and a file to keep it sharpened and pointed me at the trees they wanted cut down. They said it builds character;)

Jim Smith

Top Bottom