Wood Hardness Help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcfalls

Does anyone have a wood hardness table? I need to know the hardness of some woods for a project that is non-pen related, thought I think it would be greatly helpful to pen turners as well. Anyone? I tried searching the forums and google, but all the hardness information I can find is related to hardwood flooring. I assume this is the same as if the wood were whole, but I wasn't for sure. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Interesting chart but not really any big revelations. All are about what we know intuitively without assigning a number value. Dissapointed that the test on Osage Orange was with green wood. I would like to see where it rates when dry, or even several years old.

Dario

Maybe not fully cured but I wouldn't say green wood exactly since they are supposed to be all tested at 12% moisture content.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wpenm
<br />Frank, it rates hard as a rock when several years old.[:D] Nail bending hard.

But then you knew that! [;)]

Yeppers, sure did. The first thing I ever turned was a hunk of OO that had been laying on the ground for years. It was supposed to be a nice gavel. It ended up as an ugly, but useful, mallet in my shop. Harder than a bankers heart.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Take a look at this site. They have a chart that gives hardness and other characteristics, and a comparison with Red Oak for all of the species in their inventory. It might not be easy to use, but all of the information is there.

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom