Wood Duck calls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

I saw one of these calls somewhere and I really liked them. I figured they can't be that hard to make so I rounded up the parts and gave it a "Shot". The wooded one is Bois D Arc or Osage Orange and the white one is Deer Antler. The caps are spent high brass 12ga. shot shells with the primers out so you can blow the call. Questions and comments welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• shell calls.zip
    231 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

They look great. I make mallard calls. The hard part of them is the tone board. I'm still working on mastering that but it's getting better.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks. I bought the reeds and bushings from CSUSA and went to the shooting range and asked for the spent shells. Since they don't reload shot shells they said I could have all I wanted. I bought a call mandrell that has an open end. One end mounts in a collet chuck and the other has an allen screw that swells to hold the blank. I turn a shoulder on the end so the brass cap will slide on then turn the rest to match to OD of the brass. I finish the call with ca then glue the cap on the call. After that I use Hut Plastic polish to buff the call and the brass. Remove the call and slide the bushing and the reed assembley through the bottom and done.

Kenny Durrant

Yes JP that's it. You will need the rubber bushing as well. The reed is quite a bit smaller so you press the reed into the bushing then the bushing goes into the call. I've made three and two sound the same and one is different. The reed comes with O rings and I was thinking that if I Used the O rings for the cap it would be real easy to slide the reed in and out to change it to a rabbit or another small reed call.

Top Bottom