Wood changing colors?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

When I was on vacation a couple months back I bought a hunk of wood from the bargan pile at Woodcrafters in San Antonio. It was black and HEAVY, approximately 6" round and 24" long. Fast forward. Yesterday I started turning it round, had a pleasant odor something like mesquite or hickory? Anyway, it turned nice enough, but when I went out to the shop right now, all the sawdust turned green. (nope, no LSD flashbacks from the 60's) And upon inspection the log is now turning back to greenish black.

Now for the $64,000 monoply money question...what the heck is this stuff?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

Probably Lingum Viante

I believe you are correct! Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. This is what I found when I googled your suggestion.

Lignum Vitae

COMMON NAMES: Lignum vitae, Guayacan, Palo santo, ironwood
SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.05

DENSITY: 77 - 82 lbs./cu.ft.

TANGENTIAL MOVEMENT: 2.5%

RADIAL MOVEMENT: n/a%

VOLUMETRIC SHRINKAGE: n.a%

DURABILITY: Exceptional resistance to moisture and fungal attack

SOURCE: West Indes, Central America, northern South America

DESCRIPTION: One of the hardest and heaviest woods (three times as hard as oak), lignum vitae is most commonly used for mallet heads, bearings and rollers. Because of its durability and natural lubricants, it is the preferred wood for propeller bushings and other underwater applications. The lignum vitae tree generally grows to a diameter of about 12", although historically, trees in the 18" - 30" range have been known.

Lignum vitae is reddish brown when freshly cut, with pale yellow sapwood. As it oxidizes, the color turns to a deep green, often with black details. The grain is highly interlocked, making it difficult to work with edge tools, but it machines well and takes a high polish. It is a remarkably good wood for turning. A similar species, known as Maracaibo lignum vitae (Bulnesia arboria), which grows in Venezuela and northern South America, is similar in properties and appearance and is sometimes substituted for genuine lignum vitae.

Sylvanite

Lignum Vitae turns very easily. It is a highly resinous wood - almost waxy. When you start sanding, it will clog the sandpaper almost instantly. LV also has a very distinctive, hightly interlocked grain. If you post a picture, I'm sure many here can confirm its appearance.

Regards,
Eric

Rcd567

You asked for pictures, you got them. This is after I turned it again tonight. Great smelling stuff, anyway, tomorrow the yellow dust you see here will be green and the log will be greenish/black.

How do I finish this stuff? If you look at the end, the grain is beautiful, but if it turns all black I guess you won't be able to see it? What do you folks suggest? I had some tea light holders in mind for this wood. Or glass candle holder type inserts.

HELP!

iron.jpg

iron1.jpg

Sylvanite

Yep, that looks a lot like lignum vitae. If you want a glossy finish, you can use CA glue. Give the piece a good wipedown with something (such as CA accelerator, or even acetone) that will strip the surface oil first. Otherwise, the glue won't adhere. I went through a period where I was finishing LV pens in their own resin. I used a paper towel and friction heat to boil the resin to the surface and then smoothed it out. Unfortunately, that finish didn't seem to hold up well over time.

My favorite finish for lignum vitae, however, is no finish. LV polishes up to a beautiful satin sheen with simple buffing. Set it in a window for a day and LV turns olive green.

Enjoy it,
Eric

Rcd567

Stupid question....it there a way to keep it from turning green? Maybe varnish it or something? Say I did cup and wanted the original wood color. How would I keep it from turning????????

Top Bottom