Women's Basketball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Tomorrow night Caitlin Clark is going to set a scoring record. Iowa vs Mich. If you are not familiar please uTube. I just caught on to her. A generational player ...said to be the best in the county currently Men/Women. Spectators went from hundreds to selling out the stadium. Ticket prices went from good to insane. People lined up for a mile Sunday at 6am. I know the game is on Peacock. Has been said she does not disappoint. She does not. Enjoy if you do watch her.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I find women's college basketball to be highly entertaining, and am glad to see Caitlin Clark stir up some excitement in the sport. She's a hoot to watch, at least on TV.

We were blessed to have season tickets to Notre Dame Women's Basketball for several years through the Skyler Diggings/Devereaux Peters era. I'm sure prices have gone up some since, but when we had ours the total cost for 4 season tickets was right at $200 (for 17 home games!!). Best moment of those years was getting back to the car after watching #2 ND beat #1 U-Conn by 1 in 2 overtimes--our oldest son turned on the dome light, looked at the "face value" of his ticket stub and said "$2.36...nobody should have that much fun for $2.36!!" Honestly, the best value in sports i've ever experienced.
earl

moke

I live about 35 miles for Carver Hawkeye...the BB floor where they play. If anyone wants a punch in the nose say something bad about Caitlyn Clark in public. She is very highly revered in this State. When the whole Angel Reese vs Caitlyn thing went on last season....fans thought the world was gong to end. Caitlyn is a staple and truly a gem....she spend many hours a week at the Childrens wing of the U of I. You see every walk of life wearing her jersey...( No 22) from old fat guys to "one-sees". They say Caitlyn's friend are frustrated with her as after a win they want to celebrate and she is always super late, because she is signing autographs and taking selfies. While she knows who and what she represents she is still very humble as is her Dad. I have never heard her Mom speak, I think she leaves the interviews to her Dad. Caitlyn, IMHO was created by her Dad. He took her everywhere and played her against the toughest competition he could find. When she fell down, he did not run down there and cradle her....rather told her to get up and shake it off. I think she has played through a lot of pain....as demonstrated by her knees and shins...she is always full of bruises....
Her Dad tried to get her into boys leagues, sometimes they allowed it, sometimes not. As you guys probably know most college teams have a practice team...in Iowa they are the "Grey Team". They are boys at Iowa Girls practices.
I am retired now, but had a larger Photographic Studio for 40 some years. Our mainstay in the later 90's thru my reirement in 20, was sports and team photos. The largest school of the 20 some we did was where Lisa Bluder graduated from and played ball at. There is still probably some of her family members going there. She is royalty around here.....while Hawkeye Football is still king, fans are extremely critical of the coach and his staff, only the very cinical is critical of girls BB around here. Like Writeon said you could get a seat anytime before Caitlyn. They played a lot on Sunday afternoon, and folks would just decide on a whim to go, you could get in for 15 bucks or so and sit 7 or 8 rows from the floor.....not since Caitlyn.
THe students are selling their tickets for 10,000.00 on e sites for this Thursday....I see the bids going up, so they must be getting it. That is funny because entire season tickets are still 200.00. Folks are selling the everyday tickets for several hundred dollars. I believe I heard Caitlyns Dad say she has sold out the staduim in the last 8 or 9 venues she played in.
I am not an expert in the NIL monies, but I assume anything is fair game. Caitlyn has a foundation for charity, plus I heard her NIL money will be around 2 million in 24. People are afraid that Caitly will go to the WNBA at the end of the year.....I believe even the big stars make 200k there....why would she go.
The whole story has been great for womens sports in general, and just plain fun to hear and see. Her boyfriend is a McCafferty. He played for the boys team, and his Dad is coach, Fran McCafferty, and his bother plays too. They are all good people. You often see them in attendance at her games.
Anyway, the whole State is rooting for her.....

d_bondi

I live about 35 miles for Carver Hawkeye...the BB floor where they play. If anyone wants a punch in the nose say something bad about Caitlyn Clark in public. She is very highly revered in this State. When the whole Angel Reese vs Caitlyn thing went on last season....fans thought the world was gong to end. Caitlyn is a staple and truly a gem....she spend many hours a week at the Childrens wing of the U of I. You see every walk of life wearing her jersey...( No 22) from old fat guys to "one-sees". They say Caitlyn's friend are frustrated with her as after a win they want to celebrate and she is always super late, because she is signing autographs and taking selfies. While she knows who and what she represents she is still very humble as is her Dad. I have never heard her Mom speak, I think she leaves the interviews to her Dad. Caitlyn, IMHO was created by her Dad. He took her everywhere and played her against the toughest competition he could find. When she fell down, he did not run down there and cradle her....rather told her to get up and shake it off. I think she has played through a lot of pain....as demonstrated by her knees and shins...she is always full of bruises....
Her Dad tried to get her into boys leagues, sometimes they allowed it, sometimes not. As you guys probably know most college teams have a practice team...in Iowa they are the "Grey Team". They are boys at Iowa Girls practices.
I am retired now, but had a larger Photographic Studio for 40 some years. Our mainstay in the later 90's thru my reirement in 20, was sports and team photos. The largest school of the 20 some we did was where Lisa Bluder graduated from and played ball at. There is still probably some of her family members going there. She is royalty around here.....while Hawkeye Football is still king, fans are extremely critical of the coach and his staff, only the very cinical is critical of girls BB around here. Like Writeon said you could get a seat anytime before Caitlyn. They played a lot on Sunday afternoon, and folks would just decide on a whim to go, you could get in for 15 bucks or so and sit 7 or 8 rows from the floor.....not since Caitlyn.
THe students are selling their tickets for 10,000.00 on e sites for this Thursday....I see the bids going up, so they must be getting it. That is funny because entire season tickets are still 200.00. Folks are selling the everyday tickets for several hundred dollars. I believe I heard Caitlyns Dad say she has sold out the staduim in the last 8 or 9 venues she played in.
I am not an expert in the NIL monies, but I assume anything is fair game. Caitlyn has a foundation for charity, plus I heard her NIL money will be around 2 million in 24. People are afraid that Caitly will go to the WNBA at the end of the year.....I believe even the big stars make 200k there....why would she go.
The whole story has been great for womens sports in general, and just plain fun to hear and see. Her boyfriend is a McCafferty. He played for the boys team, and his Dad is coach, Fran McCafferty, and his bother plays too. They are all good people. You often see them in attendance at her games.
Anyway, the whole State is rooting for her.....

Thanks for this Mike. I am originally from the Quad Cities and am a Hawkeye for life ('84 BSBME). Carver Hawkeye Arena opened in my junior year.

For those that are thinking, whatever, this is women's basketball....

First - Shame on you!

Second... Caitlin Clark is only 157 career points behind Pistol Pete Marivich's Mens NCAA Basketball Scoring record. This record has stood for 54 years, and Caitlin has a real chance at breaking it. She is averaging over 32 points per game this year the best in college basketball, mens and womens.

Go Caitlin and Go Hawks!!

montmill

She's a talent and being rewarded well. https://equityatlas.org/how-much-money-is-caitlin-clark-making/#

As a former wrestling coach I can ask, how many young folks are pushed by over eager parents to live their own life's dream? I've seen several that quit all too soon because of the intense pressure to succeed.

I do resent the Big Ten for it's contact with Peacock. I have most all sports channels and would have tuned in tonight, but I'm not having anything to do with yet another money grab. I'll follow the score live on either ESPN or the Hawkeye channel.

We do know a young lady that played volleyball with our granddaughter and is a basketball star that has committed to Iowa. I hope she has a successful career.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Like to watch lady's BB. Sometimes it rougher than the guys.
I have a lot of respect for Caitlin Clark. Remember, there are also four others that help the one score.
Anyone remember when the UConn ladies went over 100 games...undefeated. Tried to watch as many of their games as possible.

moke

Last week the Center, Hannah Stuelke, had 47 points and Caitlyn 30 something and a forward had 15.....I believe they had 111 points....I cant remember the exact number. She also went over 1000 career assists last game.
I do remember the UConn ladies....an unbelievable feat. That record will not broken anytime soon.

It was reported that Caitlyn has requested to the coach not to have a celebration when she makes it. She said, "we need to win the game and could need that time out." That is so her....

moke

I hope you all got to see the game last night....it was cool. There was a ceremony afterwards, a couple of things that maybe you didn't notice or hear.....at the end of the ceremony, a boy came up and hugged her and they had their photo taken....that was her boyfriend, Connor McCaffery. He played for the Hawks and was a mediocre player, but a super kid. He and his brother Patrick, had or have, not sure which, a podcast together that was really good, last year. They had all kinds of guests for the Hawkeye faithful....as I said, their Dad is the Head Coach. Connor is working for the Pacers in Indiana. Not sure what he does. Like I earlier said, it is my feeling Caitlyn will come back for another season, but the one factor for her not to, and go to the WNBA is that she would probably be drafted by the Indianapolis club. With Connor there, who knows.

The other really cool thing that did not get told very much, is after the game, the Mich players immediately went to the locker room. They wanted to move out of the way for the Hawks to have their night. They immediately, each player, wrote a note to Caitlyn congratulating her. The coach from her own pocket bought Caitlyn a congratulatory bracelet and sent it to Lisa Bluder to give to CC. That is pure class. Michigan played a good game, but the Hawks were so full of adrenaline that I doubt anyone could have beaten them. They unfortunately ran into a buzz saw. They will go to the NCAA's and, I hope, do well. Again, kudos to the Mich coach and her players.

CC not only set the record for the womens NCAA but had 49 pts, her personal high, and they took her out with 2 minutes left! The record for the Men is held by Pete Marivich, and just over 100 and some points away. She would have to average 36 points a game I believe, which is not much of a stretch. Tickets are now going for an average of 500.00 per game on stub hub....but the place will be full and rockin!

MontMill- I heard next year it is going to be worse, with respect to Peacock. The Big 10 is going to start putting games on Big 10+, their own streaming service and still continue with Peacock. With the advent of the four additional teams joining the Big 10 next year, they claim they need it. Sorry, but that suks...Also I have seen many parents force their kids to play in various leagues, sometimes agaist their will. My take is they are looking to get that scholarship money. I doubt Brent Clark had to force Caitlyn to play anywhere. My guess is she was pushing him to get her into more leagues. One only needs to watch her play, to see that....she is in constant motion, like no other player on the floor.

David.....GO HAWKS!!!

Last edited:

Woodchipper

moke, I flipped back and forth between the Iowa game and the Tennessee Lady Vols (they lost to South Carolina). I know that the Iowa folks are proud of her and her achievements. The stats showed she reached the record in fewer games than the previous person.

d_bondi

It was a great game to watch. I truly hope that Caitlin does beat Pistol Pete's record. What is crazy is that he set that record in only 3 years and 83 games, a real mind blower. The second place person (Antoine Davis) is only 3 point behind hims but he played for 4 years.

I have Peacock and Big10 Network so I hope to be able to watch the last 4 games of the season.

WriteON

You break it.. you own it. Loved every minute of the evening. She was so on. A true winner/team player. Earned everything that comes her way.

Top Bottom