Wise and Serious Owl; ceramic commission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Some more mud-turning:
One of the local Audubon chapter members wanted a wise and serious ceramic owl image, so I obliged on the condition that I could exercise some creative license; steps:
Ball of porcelain clay turned and flattened down to a uniform 3/8" thickness on the potters wheel, then bisque fired.
Monochromatic underglaze painting done (from the imagination) using Coyote brand underglazes.
Eyes/facial features done using pigmented underglazes, realizing that there would be fairly dramatic color shifts (left to chance) in the final firing.
Coated with clear zinc-free glaze; then final-fired at cone 6.
Reminds me of a few of my doubting art teachers:
attachment.php

Best regards, Bob

Attachments

• WiseSeriousOwl,UGlazrPtg,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    WiseSeriousOwl,UGlazrPtg,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 333
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Is it a pen? :eek::confused:

Only kidding...it is obvious that there is no place for a clip...a refill...or even a nib!:tongue:

Now that I got beyond all that nonsense, I must say I truly enjoy your expression in these various mediums that you post. :)

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks JP, Steve, Jim, and Charlie.

10" diameter.

I see the potter's wheel as a messy vertical lathe for which the potter is the centering device, heading for more danger with each additional increment of height. Great fun if you don't mind entropy.

SteveG

I learned of entropy as an undergrad at Vandy Univ,...Mechanical Engineering student. I became amazed, and fascinated how that one property so intricately entwines itself with EVERYTHING...from how and why your socks in the sock drawer become a tangled mess after a while (unless you intervene and rework the entropy) to how the ever-expanding nature of the universe is predicted and predictable (to a limited extent), to what happens when you go taller on a potter's wheel! It is "great fun"!

Bob in SF

I like it, Steve.

My oldest daughter is a mechanical engineer, and we have fun chats about the intersection of thermodynamics with it's blessed entropy, material science, and art/craft.

She designed and built her own spinning wheel to make all of her yarn after dyeing the hand-carded wool.

Nothing like the roller coaster of handling raw materials amid entropy.

Top Bottom