Wipe Off Black Chrome?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Moosewatcher

I just sold a Black Chrome Sketch Pencil/Pen Combo from Penn State. I wiped the pen with a soft rag before putting it in the box and then went to wipe it once more to remove the fingerprints I put on it placing it in the box. Then I see a blemish that I can't seem to wipe off, so I take the pencil/pen to the photo box where there is good light. It looks like a plating problem. I got another pen that also was done in black chrome plating. I wipe it firmly with the rag; black color comes off onto the rag. Now I get another one that is chrome plated and wipe it hard. Looks just fine. It's the plating.

Anyone done any of these pencils or seen it happen on another model? I'm going into the showroom tomorrow to discuss with them but I'd like to know if anyone else has had this happen. I need to know if it was batch specific or their whole supply is bad. The lady who bought the pencil will accept chrome plating but prefers the black chrome look.

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I have heard that Black Chrome is simply Chrome that has a coating over it, and that it can easily be removed by wiping with acetone.

Now the cigar kits I use are Titanium or Platinum with Black Chrome trim instead of the Black Enamel. I've never had a failure or plating problem on them. No customers returned them or anything. I think I have an extra part if you'd like me to test it with fingernail polish remover.

The Cigars come from WoodPenPro and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they are actually black ti as it matches the coating on the Chrome/Black Ti Pacifica (Sierra Clone) he also sells.

Moosewatcher

It likely is only a coating because I could wipe it off and underneath looked somewhat like normal chrome. The dry T-shirt cotton I was using had black residue on it. Most of these pen kits come from China or Taiwan and these people don't waste much money on quality control.

I don't want to loose faith in black chrome kits because they look nice with certain acrylics and dark woods like Buckeye Brul.

Ken

ldb2000

The cheaper kits use this and call it several different names , Gunmetal and Black chrome are the two most popular . As you see they are not very durable . The only good Black kits are listed as Black Ti . They cost more but are the only durable Black colored kits . The other Black chrome kits are a Black baked enamel , they are more durable then the gunmetal kits but are not as durable as the Black Ti .

Moosewatcher

Cindy,
The rag was clean dry cotton. That being said, a good plating should not be affected by anything but the strongest solvents. A sweaty hand is a pretty strong solvent. A good chrome job can't be touched by keytones, acids, or bases.

Ken

Top Bottom