Winter weather fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jnelson

Well, it looks like it is our turn again.

In the next 36-48 hours, we are expecting up to 1" of ice followed by 2-6" of sleet and snow.

Just my luck, I am on-call for the hospital this week, so may actually have to get out in this mess if it hits and we have IT issues at work.

Ours should start around 9:00 tonight, and run through Wednesday sometime.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lulanrt

Charles,
I think I am in the storms path as well over here in Huntington. Calling for more snow than sleet and ice. We shall see. Hope you do not have to go out into that mess.
Travis

BigShed

Count your blessings!

Forecast for the next 5 days, all over 40C (104F) and that ain't no picnic either!

If the forecast turns out to be correct (now there is a novel thought!) it will be our hottest spell since 1908.
See, they even had global warming in 1908:rolleyes:

cowchaser

It's been freezing drizzle here all day. Its so slick outside I fell on the front porch trying to put out rock salt. My daughters car is up at the high school and I have to figure out how to go get it now. Guess I'll have to walk the 4 miles since my wife can't drive on ice. Hope everyone stays safe and doesn't lose your power. I have been eyeballing our power line coming into the house all day and it isn't looking good.

Grizz

Banned

In the next 36-48 hours, we are expecting up to 1" of ice followed by 2-6" of sleet and snow.

Just my luck, I am on-call for the hospital this week, so may actually have to get out in this mess if it hits and we have IT issues at work.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

Does Kentucky know what to do when is snows? LOL
Yea, we are to start getting the stuff too. I'm glad my boys are old enough and big enough to do all the snow shoveling.

darrenjttu

We are going to get down to uper 20's. Should be a busy day at work. People down here dont know to slow down when the weather is like this. Thats job security.

bitshird

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

Gee Thanks, I don't suppose you could keep most of it up there could you. we have the same stuff headed to us I HATE ICE.
except in certain beverages

pssherman

Here in NE Arkansas it has already started. There is 1/4 inch layer of ice built up on the porch railings already and we are expecting a couple of inches of ice. All of the schools and daycare centers have already announced that they are closed for tommorrow execpt for Arkansas State University where I teach.:frown: Maybe they are waiting to see if it will melt by morning.:rolleyes: If things like normal for our ice storms, there will be plenty of pen blanks coming down. At least if the power goes out, it won't last long since we live right across from a nursing home and they have high priority with the utilities.:biggrin:

Looks like the weather is going to swing around my end of the state.. we got a little rain, but temp is in mid 40's... Last week was plenty of winter for me.. I can handled about 3-5 days of cold weather then I want the sunshine back.

Need to figure a way to spend summer in Tennessee and winter in Australia....:smile-big:

jnelson

Well, it was not as bad last night as we feared. We have about 2" of slush built up, but it is not very slick...yet.

This morning, it was like trying to drive in loose sand. Not slick, just that the crap built up under the tire and made little humps that were a pain to get over in a few places.

The second wave will hit sometime this afternoon or evening, and all of this slushy goodness should freeze over nice and slick. I brought a change of clothes to the hospital in case I have to spend the night, which I have had to do a few times.

I hope everyone is safe and sound this morning, and ready for round 2.

Lulanrt

We got 6 inches and now freezing on top of it. They closed the federal building here in Huntington WV I think it has only been closed 1 time in the past 20 years. I have not been out but road conditions must be bad. I hope everyone is safe and warm.
Travis
Huntington, WV

pssherman

Well, the ice storm has finally passed and we survived, although some here did not. The police chief of a nearby town was killed instantly by a falling branch while he was setting up traffic cones to warn motorists of the danger.

Our power went out several time early Tuesday evening but was restored after a short period. This was due to the nursing home being across the street and is on a high priority circuit. Late Tuesday night the power wnet out again and stayed out for about 40 hours. There is 400 foot long strecth of power lines that runs from the priority circuit up our driveway and a branch had fallen on the lines causing them to short out. There are many who still do not have power because of downed lines and power poles.

Authorities are reporting that this was the most devastating storm in the last 80 years. Even the cluster of tornados that hit the city in 1968 didn't have this much devastation. Some areas around us aren't expected to get power restored for 3 to 4 weeks.

The university here clossed on Tuesday at 3:00 pm and re-opened today at 10:00 am. However the power was intermittent so they closed it again at 1:00 pm and won't re-open again until Monday. They should not have even considered opening today since there are so many tress lining the sdiewalks that have falling branches. Apparantly they did not even think of that danger.

Well, I think it is time to go back home, I only came in to work on the internet. Hope our dsl line and cable come back up soon and doesn't have any more outages.

Top Bottom