Winter is coming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Fall is just around the corner, followed by winter. I'm fortunate that my shop is in the basement of our home and is usable year-round, and I spend a lot of time there in the winter.

Recently, I've become frustrated with the clutter on my workbench - there was literally so much stuff that there was no place to actually work. So I've spent the last couple of days decluttering - throwing stuff away, finding good permanent storage locations for things that have inadvertently put down roots on the workbench, etc. Eventually, I was able to clear off everything except the things that were bolted down - the bench vise and the drill press. Then, I used a belt sander followed by a random orbital sander to clean as much of the surface as possible (there are some cuts and scratches that are very deep and are clearly there for the duration), and vacuumed the workbench, lathe area, and much of the floor. Then I applied a coat of BLO thinned in turpentine to the top of the workbench. Because this has been a warm day, I was able to open the door to the outside to let some fresh air into the shop, and also allow the fumes from the oil to escape.

My dream is to adopt the discipline of minimizing the stuff that accumulates on the workbench so that I can actually use it as a workbench. And to add to the comfort, I want to be able to use the stool that I have in the shop that has become the auxiliary table holding lathe stuff - basically, sanding supplies. Therefore, I need to find something to serve as that auxiliary table - don't know what that will be yet.

I really don't enjoy housecleaning, but sometimes its just necessary!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Louis, you have focussed on a problem that besieges all of us ... battling the clutter !

I don't have any comments because it is an issue for me also.

Maybe we should start a self-help group ... Clutterers Anonymous !

leehljp

Member Liaison
You need to take one of those "personality inventory" tests to determine if "organizing" is in vain for you. If it is, then just live with it. DAMHIKT. :biggrin:

I get a quarterly newsletter on personality characteristics and mine says that my personality type should be the LAST person to ask to organize anything. And one of my outstanding characteristics is DISorgnization. But Creativity - I got it. Ingenuity - I got it.

I just lean to accept it and clean up once a year! However, I am always thinking of more "table space" to work on because the previous workspace table is full! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I used a piece of particle board from Lowe's for a bench top. Painted it white. Need to replace it- easier than sanding the old top.

monophoto

I used a piece of particle board from Lowe's for a bench top. Painted it white. Need to replace it- easier than sanding the old top.

Good point! Many years ago, I discovered that particle board coated in polyurethane makes excellent inexpensive countertops and worksurfaces, and is especially good in applications where there is a need for moisture resistance. And it actually looks rather nice.

Many years ago (when I was in junior high school), my dad and I built a desk/workstation for my bedroom using 3/4" plywood that was finished using some kind of varnish/stain that was popular at the time. After I left home, my dad converted it to a sewing station for my mom by replacing the plywood top with a formica top. Later, after they passed away, that workstation came back to me where it was used as horizontal laydown space in our basement for a number of years. About 15 years ago, my wife and I built a new home, and after moving in, I built a darkroom in the basement. I replaced the formica top with a particle board top for use as a darkroom worktable. I had to include a seam in the middle which I jointed using biscuits, and added flat trim molding to hide the cut edges, and then applied several coats of satin polyurethane floor finish. At this point, that table/desk/workstation is approaching 60 years old, and it still serves a useful purpose. And the natural-finish top looks much better than the original stain/varnish carcass.

Last edited:

Curly

I accept that I'm bad for working in clutter and goodies accumulated over time that might be handy to have someday.

Now as for winter coming. We had snow on the "first day of fall" and as I look outside now there are a few flakes of snow floating by the window. Time to wax the snow shovels and make sure the snow blower starts.

1080Wayne

Louis, you have focussed on a problem that besieges all of us ... battling the clutter !

I don't have any comments because it is an issue for me also.

Maybe we should start a self-help group ... Clutterers Anonymous !

Think it would be any more effective than Penturner`s Anonymous ? I`m with Hank . We clutter because we see the creative possibilities within each piece that we save .

magpens

Think it would be any more effective than Penturner`s Anonymous ? I`m with Hank . We clutter because we see the creative possibilities within each piece that we save .

Oh ... there is definitely no question about that ... it is all potentially useful !!

I accept that I'm bad for working in clutter and goodies accumulated over time that might be handy to have someday.

Now as for winter coming. We had snow on the "first day of fall" and as I look outside now there are a few flakes of snow floating by the window. Time to wax the snow shovels and make sure the snow blower starts.

I was told that we got about 3" of snow at my place today. Louie, I've found that if I have an item sitting around for 6 months to a year and don't use it, it's time to go. I try to follow that rule but sometimes I slip. I've also found those plastic storage totes really help, especially if you can stack them. They hold bunch of stuff and if stacked don't really take up much more room in the shop. I also put in a bunch of shelves when I built my shop. Big help considering I have 9 1/2' ceilings. May have to use a ladder but it sure gets the junk out of the way.
So I leave here on Tuesday back to Montana. It's been in the 80's here on Kauai so I'm really enjoying the warm weather. But now I have to get home and get the chains on the snow plow and get ready for winter. At least this year my shop has heat. I'm hoping for a good winter this year.

GaryMGg

1. Never leave the shop within putting away at least 10 things. Less is acceptable when there's nothing left to put away.
2. Make a fold-down table top (for instance, one edge is attached to a wall, or it's like a TV Tray). Make it your requirement to always clear it and fold the top back down.
3. Learn 5S.

Ed McDonnell

I'm with Gary, I never leave the shop without putting away 10 things. Unfortunately I almost always take out at least 20 things. The math isn't working in my favor.

Reading this thread made me feel guilty. I went out and cleaned up one of my work benches this afternoon (by the way, it was 90 degrees...I'm really looking forward to that winter stuff I keep hearing about). I moved everything that I wasn't likely to want to use for hobby work in the next couple of weeks. I only left the critical stuff.

Here's a picture of my newly cleaned work bench (I won't show a picture of the work bench that stuff was moved to).

Ed

Attachments

• Workbench.jpg
    Workbench.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 102

magpens

My problem is that when I put stuff away I can never find it when I need it ... so I have to go out and buy duplicates, triplicates, ..... !!!

MDWine

I congratulate and admire your efforts to declutter and organize...
I want to... but too many irons in the fire keep me from making the 20 drawers that I need for the workbench i want to build! ... lol

That's what dreaming is for I guess... congrats again!

jonjon

Well, just look at it and sigh. I remember it fondly. Actually that was taken just after we constructed a new bench. I would not be so proud to post its current state.

Attachments

• shop bench.jpg
    shop bench.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom