Wine stoppers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RustySplinters

I'm working on my first acrylic wine stopper, but I'm getting a ton of chatter without stabilizing the blank with my live center. Is this normal? Or do I need to fix this?
Thanks!
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Check to make sure your tools are super sharp. Dull tools can cause you to apply excess pressure which will result in chatter.

micharms

I always use my live centre to stabilize things when I turn stoppers. Use a small piece of wood between the end of the blank and the live centre. turn the majority of your shape and then remove the wood to finish things off at the end before sanding.

Michael

cwolfs69

mrcook4570 said:
Check to make sure your tools are super sharp. Dull tools can cause you to apply excess pressure which will result in chatter.

concur on the shafp tools. i never have used a center for stoppers and i have turned a bunch from many materils. or, whT type mandrel/adapter are you using. i use the screw on type for my 1"-8 spindle. it is very rigid.

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

SDB777

I use my live center when turning stoppers, but then again...I'm going to hollow the end out anyway, so I am not to concerned that the tip of the canter will be leaving a mark.

Sharp tools and a pretty high speed is my friend when working with anything acrylic.....and light passes too.

Scott

One other aspect to check beside having really sharp tools, check to make sure the blank is seated well against the mandrel... assuming you are using the screw type bottle stopper mandrel. If your threads are a little sloppy could also cause some chatter.

BTW, I sometimes tell customers the bottle stopper is the "most useless thing I make"... gets me a laugh and usually sells one or two during the show.

Top Bottom