Wine stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from solobiker

solobiker

Even though I don't drink wine I have made several of these. I enjoy making them and have give many away.

Attachments

• DSCN0031.jpg
    DSCN0031.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 385
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

My next venture will be bottle stoppers.
What do you use to hold the blank with?

I use a PSI stopper mandrel which is a machined hunk of steel that screws onto the lathe spindle and that has a 3/8x16 threaded stud that the stopper blank screws onto. Toy must drill and tap the blank before mounting it.

I also have a couple of shop-made mandrels - threaded maple blocks that screw onto the spindle and that have a 3/8x16 bolt embedded on axis. I usually finish stoppers with wop and it's convenient to have a few extra mandrels so I can be turning while the wop is curing.

solobiker

My next venture will be bottle stoppers.
What do you use to hold the blank with?

I use a PSI stopper mandrel which is a machined hunk of steel that screws onto the lathe spindle and that has a 3/8x16 threaded stud that the stopper blank screws onto. Toy must drill and tap the blank before mounting it.

I also have a couple of shop-made mandrels - threaded maple blocks that screw onto the spindle and that have a 3/8x16 bolt embedded on axis. I usually finish stoppers with wop and it's convenient to have a few extra mandrels so I can be turning while the wop is curing.

I do this as well. I also have a scrap piece of wood with several nails pounded in 1/2 way so I can take one stopper off of the mandrel and put on the wop and let them dry while sitting on the nail so I can turn more. I then used my buffer to shine them up.

dankc908

These can also be used for olive oil, vinegars, etc. In short, any kitchen liquid that doesn't require refrigeration. That's how we present them and we do sell quite a few to "drinkers" (wine) and "non-drinkers" (everything else).

I have a Beale Collet system that I put a 3/8" piece of steel in with a flat filed on one side and a short finish nail to hold them... a pin chuck of sorts... you get a true turn with no run-out, you can move the end of the blank away from the chuck so there's room to work the bottom of the stopper and mounting is quick and easy... can generally do two or three stoppers an hour with this start to finish.

Top Bottom