See more from jssmith3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jssmith3

tn_P1000709.jpg
tn_P1000710.jpg
tn_P1000711.jpg
tn_P1000712.jpg

This is my next pen in my painted series. I was asked to do one on a larger type pen and this is it. Comments welcome.
Janet :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Janet,

I am not sure if I have said it before, but you really do some very nice painting. What a wonderul skill that really makes your pens stand out. Great work!

On a side note, my Father in law just bottled up 1500 bottles of vino. Very fine batch this time round. He gave me two cases just because I take the best of care of his daughter...[:D]

Fangar

fuzzydog

Janet, it is a beautiful pen. The only thing that didn't ring my bell was your initials and date at the tip of the clip. I understand that an artist, such as yourself, sign their work but have you thought about incorperating your signature into the design. ie: the light reflection on the grapes. I hope that I have not offended.
David
Juneau, AK

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Incredible!

That's a little understated.

Janet; this is your best pen to date, and from the quality of the pen that I have seen that is saying a lot. Your talent with the brush compliments your talent as a turner and your attention to detail shows.

jssmith3

Thanks everyone for the great compliments, its one of my favorite ones so far. David, I tried to include it with the painting and didn't like the way it turned out. I am still working on that part of it since everyone keeps telling me to sign it in some way. I plan on bringing this one to Provo with me if anyone wants to see it up close.
Janet :)

M

Mudder

Originally posted by thewishman
<br />Gorgeous painting! I loved the sunflower, but this one is even better.

I'll tell you someone else who really loved the sunflower......My Wife!

I purchased the sunflower pen to give her on mothers day and she cried when she opened it. She carries that pen in the box with her everyewhere and shows it off every chance she gets.

jssmith3

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by thewishman
<br />Gorgeous painting! I loved the sunflower, but this one is even better.

I'll tell you someone else who really loved the sunflower......My Wife!

I purchased the sunflower pen to give her on mothers day and she cried when she opened it. She carries that pen in the box with her everyewhere and shows it off every chance she gets.

Thanks Scott, that makes me feel great that she likes it so much.
Makes it all worth it.

BigRob777

Janet,
Holy smokes!!! I didn't think I'd ever see a painted pen that I'd like this much, but this is spectacular. Johnathan (I think) has one on his site that is really nice too. Is that maple or holly? I have a ton of holly, that needs to be cut up and dried and thought about dyeing it, but this idea is even better. Maybe I can get my wife involved with this hobby.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that I've only seen a couple of painted pens before this, so this is not meant to be an insult to anyone's painted pens.[:D]

Rob

Skye

I have mixed emotions...

I think the painting is superb, that goes without saying.

The wood, I'm not digging. Problem is, I don’t know that I would want to see any more figured wood underneath it because I wouldn’t want it to stand out more than the painting. Similar to not wanting a kit to stand out more than the wood. Obviously this wood is more of a 'blank canvas', but I cant help but to wonder what a little more figure would have looked like. I guess to me it's like painting a Monet on a paper towel; The canvas doesn’t deserve the art.

One more note; While I’m sure you want the signature in a place that’s obvious, I think being right next to the clip may be a little too obvious. It’s like an artist signing a painting in the middle of the image.

Hopefully you can take this a constructive. Some people cant see it for what it is.

jssmith3

Thank you Skye, I am not taking your comments negatively. I appreciate them. The sunflower pen that Mudder has has more figure in it and I liked the way it looked. As for the signature I am still working on that one. I had even thought about putting it under the clip all together so it wouldn't be seen unless you really looked, whats your opinion on that?
I have never tried to paint a monet on a paper towel, is it hard to do? [;)]

Have a good day.

Skye

I don’t know that I would try that hard to hide your sig, you do want there to be a certain amount or recognition there. Not only for pride, but a noticeable trademark that distinguishes your pens from other crafters. I think it's Jonathan who's also painting pens (dragon pen), so you'll need something that people can see that sets yours apart from theirs. I’d just try to show it somewhere near the art, maybe on the back side of the bottom. Just preference because I’m used to seeing art signed at the bottom of the canvas, so it seems a fitting place. Having it on the bottom end, to the rear of the pen allows it to be out in the open while not in your face while looking at the closed pen. Normally people spin the pen around and look at the rear as well, so it’ll be obvious at that point, yet not in-your-face at first glance.

Painting on napkins, no I’ve never tried. Been a loooong time since I picked up a brush and was never all that good at it. I’d say keep with the pens, you’re on a roll
[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom