Win 10 upgrade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I'ld also like to recommend people hold off on the "new omg shiny!" bandwagon for a while. WIN10 is actually Windows Vista with a few visual upgrades and some security upgrades here and there. They are SLOWLY giving us back our control over the system we had back in Windows XP.

Windows 3.1 was the best stable version for taking over from DOS

Windows 95 was version 4.0

Windows 98 was actually more of an add-on expansion to Win95... call it version 4.5

Windows XP was version 5.0, combining many of the aspects of Windows 98 and Windows Pro

Windows Vista is version 6.0, which is hated due to the many bugs it had and the security lockout that prevented users from doing things they used to do easily under all the previous operating systems, like changing file attributes or creating text files.

Windows 7 is version 6.2. This version added much of the functionality of Windows XP back into the mix ... it's a cross between XP and Vista. After the beta testing was done, the stability of this operating system was excellent.

Windows 8 is a revamped version of Windows 7 with Media Center upgrades up front. It is version 6.4 internally (Vista). It has basically all the same features that Windows 7 touts, but with software and apps in a smartphone styled interface for snagging users who are used to using phones, but not computers. (I hate that crap, my start screen goes straight to the classic windows desktop.)

Windows 10 (they skipped 9 due to programming issues ... a software op sys check for a win9x system would accidentally flag Win9 as compatible even if it isn't.) is yet again another face-lift for Windows Vista. Internally, it is version 6.7. New feature .... upgrading to it is FREE if you have Windows 8.

Top Bottom