Will This Work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

I have a friend that is a commercial artist and I am considering making her a pen with her artwork on it. I am new to this hobby and am seeking your input on this idea to see if it is doable.

Turn a wood pen and have her decorate the pen using Sakura Pigma Micron color pens. The ink produced by these pens is chemical proof. Once the work is complete, cover the pen with multiple coats of CA and assemble the pen.

So, do you think the CA will protect the artwork over time and would you use wood or another material? If I use wood, should I use a light colored wood so the artwork would standout?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

azamiryou

If they really are chemical proof, the CA should provide protection. I like the idea of doing it on wood, although the color may bleed a little if the wood isn't sealed. That may be okay with her, or you can try to find a good sealer that her pens will write on without bleeding.

I'd recommend getting some small, simple flat scraps and trying different things. See what happens if she draws on raw wood, then you smear some CA on top; if not satisfactory, try different finishes, sealing before drawing, etc, until you find something that works.

trapper

I dont see why not. could it be converted to say a cnc compatible file and lasered on or maybe made into something like ajpeg image and converted to cnc files via something like imagetocad (afree download). then lasered. or resized (again there are free download programmes) likelightimage resizer4 then made into a decal and applied to the pen

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Should work but I'm spray the artwork with a clear acrylic like Crystal Coat to protect it before applying the CA. This is the same spray I use when working with water slide decals. You might also use it to seal the wood.

Fireengines

Seamus:

I am new, so is this the proper way to cast over a painted barrel?

Attachments

• castingoverbarrell.gif
    castingoverbarrell.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 104

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
There were a few old timers that were very good at this. Janet Smith and Johnathan Burton. While they may have some photos on here, both are in the penmakersguild and some of their work can be see in those galleries.

Pen Makers Guild

Yes it can be done and quite well.

biednick

Basicly, you take a pen tube, paint it white, then paint whatever you want over it and cast like a snake skin. I did a few like this my sister painted.

D.Oliver

There were a few old timers that were very good at this. Janet Smith and Johnathan Burton. While they may have some photos on here, both are in the penmakersguild and some of their work can be see in those galleries.

Pen Makers Guild

Yes it can be done and quite well.

Bruce, Thanks for posting that link. They both have some beautiful peices. I especially like the one called "coral reef" by Johnathan.

KBs Pensnmore

I did a Koala on citrus wood, and a Kangaroo on redgum, my partner painted them in Acrylic straight on to the wood, then 15 coats of CA.(make sure you don't sand through to the painting). Using water paints, a sander sealer would be required, several coats may be required of the water paints then the CA finish.
Kryn

Top Bottom