Will these jaws work for pen blank drilling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/105/5454/Oneway-Smooth-Spigot-Jaw-Set

I have the Oneway scroll chuck system (1 1/4 x 8) Needing an option for jaws that will expand to hold peppermills as well as hold pen blanks for drilling. This looks to be the best choice. Just curious if these will work or any other options out there. I can't find a dedicated pen drilling chuck for 1 1/4x8 and don't want to use an adapter.
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Bespoke 'drilling jaws' usually are deep, and grip two opposite corners of the blank (so they come as a pair, not a set of four jaws).

But long before there were drilling jaws, people were simply putting the blank between centers, turning a tenon on one end, and then mounting the blank i standard spigot jaws for drilling.

So yes, those jaws will work for drilling.

The Penguin

I've only made a few peppermills, so take this advice with a grain of salt...

I turn a dovetail on one end of the blank, and hold with dovetail jaws - then begin boring on the tailstock end.

when I get about halfway through, I turn the blank around, and switch jaws (or in my case, switch chucks) to a set of PIN jaws (non profiled). I use Vicmarc chucks - and I believe these are the jaws that I use for that purpose: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/105/6339/Vicmarc-20mm-Project-Jaw-Set

the closest thing in Oneway jaws would be the non-profiled spigot jaws: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/105/5454/Oneway-Smooth-Spigot-Jaw-Set

you need to double check the expansion range to make sure you can expand into your bored hole.

KenV

I use the 1inch long nosed pin jaws on a Talon for internal hold with a 1 1/16 bore. Very flexible jaw set. Can use to drill pen blank is.

southernclay

Thanks folks. I'm interested to make a set of these at some point.
Auxiliary Pen Blank Jaws

But that doesn't take care of the internal hold on peppermills etc.

I use the 1inch long nosed pin jaws on a Talon for internal hold with a 1 1/16 bore. Very flexible jaw set. Can use to drill pen blank is.

Ken do you mind to send a link to the pin jaws you use? Or are they the ones I posted.

Chuck Key

Vicmarc compatible Bull Dog Long Nose for me.

scroll-chuck-long-nose-jaw-sets-500x500.png

KenV

Thanks folks. I'm interested to make a set of these at some point.
Auxiliary Pen Blank Jaws

But that doesn't take care of the internal hold on peppermills etc.

Ken do you mind to send a link to the pin jaws you use? Or are they the ones I posted.

Oneway 3239 smooth or Oneway 3016 profile for the Talon or Oneway Chucks. Usually use the profile with peppermills

Both are on the Oneway web site.

southernclay

Ken do you mind to send a link to the pin jaws you use? Or are they the ones I posted.[/quote]

Oneway 3239 smooth or Oneway 3016 profile for the Talon or Oneway Chucks. Usually use the profile with peppermills

Both are on the Oneway web site.[/quote]

Thank you, the best I can tell the smooth are the same on either site, price etc all the same.

Thanks for all the advice.

Top Bottom