Width of thin kerf cut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rnweller

I seen hundreds of references to thin kerf table saw blades, but very few citings of the actual width of the kerf. Mr Eagle mentioned the Freud Diablo with a kerf of .059. Are there any table saw blades, 7.5 or 10 inches, with a thinner kerf? Thanks for any help.

Norm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
In a 10" blade its tough to find anything thinner than 3/32 (around .09")... In 7" blade the size you stated is about as thin as I've seen (approximately 2/32).

If you want to go thinner, your best bet is to switch to a bandsaw. There you can get down to around 1/32 or so.

alamocdc

I found a 7.5 at Ace Hardware that was a little thinner, I believe. It is a good name brand blade (can't remember name just now) and I use it for many of my inlays. If I can remember where I put it, I'll come back and post the name and thickness.

rnweller

Alpha and Billy,

Thanks for the info. I would be interested in kerf width of the blade from Ace. Anyone else have knowledge of a thinner kerf? Many thanks.

Norm

rnweller

Thank you Ken. The Diablo will probably be the best blade unless the one from Billy is smaller. I'm wanting to try some of the feather inlays. Many thanks, again.

Norm

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You could use Slitting Saw blades in a tile cutter. Or rig up an arbor in your lathe

Slitting ( sometimes called Slotting ) saw blades come in thicknesses down to paper thin:wink:

Here are a couple done with a 0.5mm blade. I have some blades ( but not used yet ) that are almost as thin as aluminium cooking foil:biggrin:

Just remember that while thin is nice, it is more important to match the inlay to the kerf without gaps

Attachments

• NightFlight2open.jpg
    NightFlight2open.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 283
  • SierraVsElegantBeauty.jpg
    SierraVsElegantBeauty.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

rnweller

Steven,

Thanks for your input. I am always in awe of your work. I perfer to work on the table saw versus the lathe with the slitting blades for the feather blanks. Thank you.

Norm

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
+1 for slitting saw, you can get an arbor with 1/2" shank really cheap from Grizzly and the blades in 1/64" increments for a few dollars each.

alamocdc

Okay, I just checked one of two that I use (can't seem to find the other - it may be on my other table saw I used on my daughters flooring). It is Ace Professional brand, 7.25 ", 24 carbide teeth and is between .057 and .058" according to my calipers (they couldn't decide). My memory is telling me that the other one is even thinner, but it is not to be trusted. If that blade is on the other saw, I'm gonna need to get it anyway, but that might be awhile. Sorry, Norm, that's the best I could do tonight.

rnweller

Thanks to everyone that responded. I'll check Ace to see what they have and also try to pick up a Diablo. Now to get the table saw jig finished.

Norm

TomW

rnweller

Thanks Billy,

I checked further and that blade has a .071 kerf and not .05. Do you have a number for the Ace blade? The Ace or Diablo may have the thinnest available. I had sent you an email earlier. Thank you for all your help and everyone that responded.

Norm

alamocdc

Okay, folks, I owe y'all an aplogy. My Ace blade is NOT .058" it is .068". I'm going to blame my failing eyes and the dim light of the garage. I also found the other blade that I use. It is a 7.25" Avanti that measures .071" thick. Again, my apologies! The photo shows the two blades in case anyone is interested in getting one.

Attachments

• 640thin_kerf.jpg
    640thin_kerf.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 273

rnweller

Thanks Billy,

I appreciate you taking the time to check your blades. This has been quite a learning experience trying to find the width of the thin kerfs. It now seems that the Freud Diablo, D0740X or D0760X, has the thinnest kerf at .059. Dewalt may be the next thinnest at .063. There 40 tooth blades are DW3194, DW3594B10 and DW3594L and the 60 tooth blades are DW3196, DW3596B10 and DW3596L. It took alot of digging and time to find the kerf information for these saw blades. I also could not find this information on many of the other name brand blades. They just say thin kerf or ultra thin kerf, but no specific measurements. I hope this information will be helpful to others. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Norm

Top Bottom