Who'da thunk it......Pignut Hickory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Pignut Hickory, who'da thunk it?!?!?!

After doing a few pens yesterday made out of ERC and Afghan Pine cones, I thought I had reached my limit on the patience-meter. Nothing would go right, especially the closed-ended stuff!
Today I decided to make something much easier! If crosscut wood can be considered easy that is.... So I made these two!!! Two, simple....I wanted to check to find out which hardware these chunks of wood would best be suited with....and to tell the truth, I still couldn't tell you whether the chrome is better then the gold, or the gold is better then the chrome?
Turned between centers, mic'd(a lot) to .005" oversized, sanded(had to stabilize the crosscut grain with thin CA) with 400grit, and then EEE them. Was thinking I might need to do a CA finish, but they buffed right up to a pretty nice gloss...so why put myself through the 'fumes' if I don't need to!

A couple photo's for your viewing pleasure!

C&C is most welcome! Thanks for taking time from your day to view these humble offerings to the pen world.....

Scott (I thunk it.....once) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Thanks for the thoughts on the hardware....seems like maybe I should have done a poll, cause I think it's still pretty much split down the middle with both:eek:

Someone mentioned that they have never heard of "Pignut Hicory'(Carya glabra)...I did the ID for bark and basic structure of the leaves that were still on the tree while I has gathering it in 2011 after a very large straightline wind came through during a thunderstorm. If you'd like to learn just a little more about Hickory trees(then is probably really necessary), you can go to this site: >>>> Hickory <<<<

After looking at the photo of the Sierra, I think I should have taken just a wee-bit more off the 'curve'......surprised noone noticed that?

Thanks everyone!

Scott (gotta play some more) B

I don't think the hardware matters because that material compliments either. I like the lines on the Sierra just the way you did it. Those are both just beautiful Scott

Last edited:

gbpens

The gold works quite well on the single barrel pen. The chrome/rhodium looks compliments the wood color very well also. It's not so much which metal looks better with the wood but the single barrel offers both metal tones which gives you the best of both worlds.

jttheclockman

Both look real good and I do not think you can go wrong with either kit or color of kit. As far as shape that is a turners choice. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom