White Pine Cone Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from William Menard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

...nice blank. The shape is too large for my tastes but I am SURE that there be many that like that style! Be well......Jan

@Jan, I am certainly not taking your comment offensive because I come here to learn. Can you explain the too large your talking about please. In person as I turned it, I do not have a big area as it seems in the picture, I try and make the blank run smoothly from bushing to bushing with just a little or should I say gradual slope from center of blank to bushing. Thanks for your time and C&C.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
William,

Speaking for myself, not Jan, I prefer pens that don't have quite as much contour to them. The "gradual slope" you incorporated is too wide for my taste. It is undoubtedly NOT to wide for others tastes. That is not to say it is not an excellent pen because if came out looking the way you wanted it to turn out then that is all that matters. For example and comparison purposes only, I've attached some photos of cigar pens I have done that are more to MY liking. The contour is more subtle IMHO.

Attachments

• B14-004.jpg
    B14-004.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 228
  • B14-005.jpg
    B14-005.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 163
  • B14-006.jpg
    B14-006.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 155
  • B14-007.jpg
    B14-007.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 162
@mbroberg, I see and understand what you mean. Had I gone more across and not as fat it would be more defined as a cigar, and probably would look a bit nicer. Thanks for the pictures.

BSea

That's a nice looking pen with a really cool blank. Contour is in the eye of the beholder. I think if you look at people's pens from the time they start till they have a few years of turning, you'll notice the barrels getting slimmer. I know mine did. But there is nothing at all wrong with that pen.

On the craftcoat, was it to seal the pinecone? I'm asking because usually I use CA for something like this. It would be nice to have an alternative.

dwarmbrodt

Very nice blank and pen! Size and shape is subjective, and in this case I can really see the dilemma in the more you turn off, the less you see of the cones in the blank.

@BSea, yes it was as a finish instead of using CA. It takes a little more time for applying but I like the finish minus the fumes, almost like liquid glass was melted over it. 5 thin coats.

Charlie_W

William,
Nice blank and effort on the pen. I have not tried the craft coat yet.

I am in agreement with most in that the pen needs to go on a diet.
One thing which does not show in your pic is how the clip lays on the pen. I too did some which were larger but was keeping in mind that the clip needed to lay flat and not be sprung outward. Also, for those few of us who still like to have shirt pockets :biggrin:, a larger blank makes the clip tight to get positioned in the pocket.
I am not sure, but would a lighter color background help the visual look of the pen? Maybe one of the photo geeks can answer this with more wisdom.

Keep up the turning...and learning!
You don't learn if you don't try new things!

Rockytime

Had breakfast with my pastor this morning. I showed him the crummy little slim line I made. He showed me his pen and said can you make one this big. He is a big man and likes big pens. Your beautiful pen would fit him perfectly.

dtswebb

William,

Darn nice looking pen.

As to the size, I've experimented with various thicknesses (I prefer a large diameter pen for my mitts). One lady that suffers from arthritis LOVED a "wide body" cigar pen I had made As she was able to grasp the barrel with little effort.

All depends on the person and the circumstances. I'd carry the pen and be darn proud of it.

Matthew

Ice31

I have big hands and love a larger turned pen. I make them in all sizes....a basic "standard" size for pens I'm selling to the general public...and custom sized for orders. Looks great!!

Top Bottom