White Oak Gentlemen Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

This is a full sized Gent in 10kt

I was provided the wood as part of a batch of furniture being fabricated for a fellow wood workers client. The wood is from the clients own property and they have been salvaging as much as they can to turn into high end furnishings for their home. Slabbed and kiln dried and cut-off sent my way.

I have to turn a matching Jr. Gent for the clients wife as well. This is some of the best grain I've ever seen in Oak.

Attachments

• IMG_1273 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1273 (Small).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1274 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1274 (Small).JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1275 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1275 (Small).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1298 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1298 (Small).JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

i would never believe that was oak. people asked me if i can make pens out of oak and i flat out refuse because its boring. i clearly haven't found any of that oak. well done

Look through the #2 and worse. You'll find all sorts of figure close to the knots, in the crotch, etc.

Rick_G

That turned out nice. Hope there is more where that came from. When my neighbour quit farming he took down a large number of oak and walnut trees and had them cut into boards. I bought a bunch from him when I moved here, the inch or so around any large knots or if you can get a piece from the crotch where 2 branches go together and you will often find nice grain like that. You can also get am interesting look if you cut your blank at a 45deg angle to the grain. If a customer wants oak don't say no take a look at the junk stuff and experiment.

t001xa22

Carl, I also have recently been amazed at the possibilities of oak. I attached a few pics of some oak burl from southern Illinois. I figured it would be a waste of time when I sliced it up, but was I ever wrong. I rounded and finished out this first piece just to see what it would look like. I'm impressed.

Attachments

• Oak Burl1.jpg
    Oak Burl1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Oak Burl2.jpg
    Oak Burl2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Oak Burl3.jpg
    Oak Burl3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 77

t001xa22

John: I hadn't noticed before, but your idea to label them as cigars sounds good. I look at the pics again, and they really do look like a good cigar.

Carl: These burl pieces I got were from the Carbondale/Marion area of southern Illinois.

JohnU

Simply Beautiful! It's my favorite to turn. I can relate to the self harvest and drying. Ive been lucky to get my hands on some knots, burl and spalted oak. They have always gone over well and Im sure your customer will love it.

Top Bottom