White Oak Birdseye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

About a week before I cut up my hand, I made a bottle stopper mandrel for one of the members here that has taken some hard hits from a lot of us. But we all seem to forget that he's just a 16 year old kid, still a bit wet behind the ears, in exchange for making the stopper mandrel and throwing in a 3/8ths tap he sent me some wood, This is one piece of the box he sent, it's beautiful White Oak Birdseye Burl, done on a gunmetal cigar,
Thanks Jared for some great wood :wink::wink::wink:

White-Oak-Burl07-9.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful pens, Ken!

Jared has some beautiful wood there! I'll have to see what kind of work he's posted.

And thanks for this "reminder" post.

1JaredSchmidt

I wish I could post pics on here but I can't. I can't see how you can get that kind of a shine on there. Of course I'm using Shellawax (I have yet to learn how to do a CA finish) but that looks awesome! I thought about selling some of those blanks,but I only have about 25 of them. Thanks Ken!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I wish I could post pics on here but I can't. I can't see how you can get that kind of a shine on there. Of course I'm using Shellawax (I have yet to learn how to do a CA finish) but that looks awesome! I thought about selling some of those blanks,but I only have about 25 of them. Thanks Ken!

Only way to learn is to mess up a few blanks and try! :) Don't be afraid of failure - just give it your best try, and you'll come out on top!

Andrew

bitshird

I never thought much of white oak for a pen, but the pieces Jared sent me are outstanding, one is going to be allowed the pleasure of wearing Lotus Rollerball hardware,
I wish the kid would get a camera so we could see some of his work and wood he gets.
Jared the only way to get a good ca finish is to do a couple, I don't use any BLO just 3 or 4 coats of thin CA wet sand to 400 then 2 or 3 coats of Medium CA wet sanded to 1500 then buff put the CA on with a paper towel. it helps accelerate the drying, I also use accelerator but not absolutely necessary. Try it on any junk wood, CA is cheap

SamThePenMan

Amazing grain on the white oak. The finish is really nice as well. I normally just use a lacquer finish, but I may have to try out CA one of these days. The picture is really nice as well. :)

Top Bottom