WHITE HOUSE Historic Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gvpens

gvpens

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted. I thought I would show a project that I have been working on for quite a while now. It is a pen made with original wood removed from the White House during the ca. 1950 restoration. The wood is virgin heart pine. The white is Alt. Ivory. It is part of my Historic Pen Series. Any comments are appreciated as usual.

Attachments

• email image - open.jpg
    email image - open.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 455
  • email image - pen closed.jpg
    email image - pen closed.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 342
  • email image - box and sign.jpg
    email image - box and sign.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 373
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This pen does stand out in the crowd and comes with a great story. Job well done. This is one case where the background is a perfect compliment to the pen. Nice job with the photo. I too would have liked to have seen more wood somehow incorporated in the pen. Maybe the blank was not that large to allow for this. Thanks for showing.

gvpens

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I love working with historic wood. I've had this piece for about 20 years now in my collection. I wanted to maximize the use of the wood without wasting any of it so I didn't make the bottom completely solid wood. Because of the shape of the piece there would have been too much waste. The cap and box were engraved by Ken Nelsen. The image is the from the 1st photo ever taken of the White House. It is from an 1846 daguerreotype. The pen is a full size Statesman with a nib from Brian Gray at Edison Pens.

gvpens

I have been collecting antiques all my life and this wood came from an antique shop in VA about 20 years ago.
During the White House restoration around 1950 all of the material was removed carefully and divided into 4 categories. The first was to be reused in the rebuilt White House. The 2nd was used in other government projects. The 3rd was sold to the public as souvenirs. The 4th category of materials was just discarded.
This wood was in the 3rd category and was sold as "kit #1" to make a gavel. Each "kit" had a small brass plaque showing that the material came from the original White House. The wood originally sold for $2.00. The photos below show the wood and plaque that was attached. It was sold by the Commission on Renovation of the Executive Mansion.
I was lucky at the time to find this wood and it was not inexpensive. Occasionally now some of the wood turns up, but it is very expensive.
The back of my description card actually shows the original wood, plaque and renovation photo.

Attachments

• wood pics.jpg
    wood pics.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 137
Top Bottom