Which tone of red is "cupla red"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monark88

Well, I think I solved this mystery. Was the person from Pennsylvania?

I was relaying this thread to my wife (born and raised in Western Pennsylvania)and she understood it completely. Dan understood it right away, too.

Your wife was right. The word "Coupla" comes from the colloquialism, "a coupla two or three" that was found to have begun in and around the Richmond, Indiana area.

When, I don't remember, but a long time ago. I think it is not used very much anymore, but was an everyday saying when I was a kid in the '50's. I never did care much for it, because its confusing from the start.

Now, how would most people know or want to use such wording in a business deal today? Unfortunately, this person did. You did nothing wrong.

Russ

flyitfast

Eugene, this has been fun to follow - however, I do think you are better off without this customer!!
BTW, would you bring me a coupla green blank at the next chapter meeting???? or did I phrase that wrong...................:biggrin:
gordon

Waluy

That is kind of funny I used to get into so much trouble when I worked at a parts store and someone would ask for a coupla 3 screws. With out fail I always brought them 6 screws. When asked why I did that my response was always the same; they requested a couple of 3 screws (to me that means two sets of 3 screws total 6 screws) LOL.

LagniappeRob

Eugene, this has been fun to follow - however, I do think you are better off without this customer!!

Ditto! Odds were with it after the 2nd email, but the 3rd confirms it.

I've had things like this happen before. More than a couple times, they would come back and TRY order something a while later. I've canceled the orders... I don't need the hassle. Something I learned a long time ago, I don't HAVE to sell anything to anyone provided the reason is not based on discrimination of a protected class.

PTsideshow

Just to be clear google has a number of hits for the words cupla red!
Here is one from the land down under.
Cupla red fish | WAFishAman.com

And there are a number of plastic pipe fittings in a shade of red. http://weblimitada.com.uy/tienda/images/cupla-red-HH.jpg

So there is a shade of cupla red! close to barn or caboose red with out the gloss.

People due tend to get upset when spelling mistakes are pointed out on the web posting. With the number and type of spell checking that is available you would think everybody would have one on their browser, and use it :rolleyes:
:clown:

LagniappeRob

^^ you do realize that pipe fitting website is from Uruguay? That's the ".uy" on the end.
"Cupla" is apparently a Spanish word meaning meaning "braked" (at least according to google translate)? But still not sure how that would fit.

I think the person meant it as "a couple of red blanks" while leaving a whole lot to be discerned from the way they said it... in other words, they failed. And then they got offended thinking Eugene meant to be rude. Life's too short to deal with such people for very long.

LagniappeRob

Thinking about it I went to that UY website... and it's broken, but still somewhat usable.

It appears they are using "cupla" not as a color, but as a noun. In other words that is a picture of a "red cupla"... you know a cupla - it lets you connect or couple things together (others would call it an adapter or coupler).

Here's a link to a "reduccion cupla": Web Limitada | Calidad Garantizada

JP61

I just now read through this thread.... L :biggrin: L

It almost sounds like a kid or someone that is bored out of their mind. I can't believe a serious customer would act in that manner in response to your e-mails. You did nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of.

jaywood1207

This reminds me of a request I had for a "boat knot". I had no clue what they wanted but it turned out it was a typo and supposed to be "boar knot". I felt really stupid when they responded but they were much more reasonable and kind with their response than your potential customer.

tbroye

Guess what just arrived in the mail. A couple of Cupla Red and a Couple of Cupla Blue blanks. The are nice looking looks like I will have new pen this weekend

Thanks Eugene for fast service

Last edited:

Teeball

Hi Eugene Received my order today, 14 blanks and all beautiful. The colors were so vivid that I thought you mailed me the pictures you had posted in the ad. I hope I can do justice to these beauties. :highfive:

ElMostro

Guess what just arrived in the mail. A couple of Cupla Red and a Couple of Cupla Blue blanks. The are nice looking looks like I will have new pen this weekend
Thanks Eugene for fast service

Let's see the pics!

Hi Eugene Received my order today, 14 blanks and all beautiful. The colors were so vivid that I thought you mailed me the pictures you had posted in the ad. I hope I can do justice to these beauties. :highfive:

The one thing about these blanks is that most all of them look like that.

tbroye

I have a cupla things on the honey do list before I can do a pen. Rehang door between Laundry room and garage. Get Christmas stuff out of storage, get outside decoration up before the Bad weather hits Tuesday, and probably a few more things she hasn't thought of yet. But I will post pictures. Might try to sneak a pen in tonight.

Top Bottom