Which powder coat paint?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

Looks like I will get a powder coat gun for finishing cartridge pens. Tried contacting some companies that do it but they have a minimum of $75. Might as well buy my own gun.

So, I have been looking at Eastman for clear paint. What looks best and is most common: gloss, semi-gloss, or satin-gloss?

TIA

Lago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

My preference is for high gloss from Eastwood. I get a few people telling me they like semi-gloss though.

Given how cheap the material is, I would get some of each and see what people buy.

pfde4

From what I am told if the wood is pre-heated to 250 it will work. Just curious if any one tried it. Going to experiment next week.

PenMan1

From what I am told if the wood is pre-heated to 250 it will work. Just curious if any one tried it. Going to experiment next week.

Please post the results of your experiments! This could be very valuable information, if you can make the powder bond with wood on a consistent basis.

I'm not so much interested in using it for pen finishes, but this could add some interest to pen displays!

pfde4

Roger that, I make Trophy bases and it would be a good option. Quick process heat to 250, spray, cook at 350, moisture will be released sand and repeat. Has been used in the cabinet industry for years. ( I'm sure not that process). But will work for smaller applications.

pfde4

Lago,

Sorry for hijacking your thread... my answer try all diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. depending what look you or your customer is looking for.

trapper

I've been told by Creswell industries that it can be done but apparently you need to warm the wood and coat it with conductive paint , same as used to enable plastics to be coated. problem i foresee is that wood has amoisture content and the fibres expand with moisture. The wood might even suffer dry rot with no air circulation. I have powder coated MDF board when i made doors for my kitchen they seem ok two years on........... all in all not acheap proces unless you have the equipment

Sylvanite

I use Eastwood #10329 95% gloss "Ultra Clear Lo-Temp Topcoat". It flows out and cures at a lower temperature, so the bullets don't discolor as much while baking. It costs twice as much as #10093, but gives me better results.

If, for some reason, you don't like a shiny surface, you can degloss it by rubbing with 0000 steel wool.

Powder paint is designed to adhere by static cling, but if you want to coat an interior or nonconductive surface, you can "hot-flock" it, which has been described previously.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom