Which Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

I am looking at upgrading to a midi lathe in the near future. Currently I have a variable speed lathe which is doing the job but I want something a little bigger to do more things on.
My question is do I go for a lather where I change the belts for speed control or get a viable speed one and what are the advantages between the 2.
I am looking at Jet, Delta and a couple others
Thanks in advance
Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Variable speed. Nobody in the history of woodturning ever ever ever bought variable speed and regretted it.

Ok, maybe a but of over exaggeration. ;-)

Seriously though, you will likely get three types of responses.

1. I didn't buy variable speed and I'm okay just changing belts.

2. I didn't buy variable speed and I wish I had

3. I'm so glad I bought variable speed.

What I really doubt you will hear is, I bought variable speed and wish I had the extra $100 more than I spent on it back.

Fish30114

Variable speed. Nobody in the history of woodturning ever ever ever bought variable speed and regretted it.

Ok, maybe a but of over exaggeration. ;-)

I don't think that's much of an exaggeration Dan.

Seriously though, you will likely get three types of responses.

1. I didn't buy variable speed and I'm okay just changing belts.

2. I didn't buy variable speed and I wish I had

3. I'm so glad I bought variable speed.

What I really doubt you will hear is, I bought variable speed and wish I had the extra $100 more than I spent on it back.

I agree with that synopsis!!

monophoto

I upgraded from a small variable-speed minilathe to a midi about a year ago, and as part of that exercise, I did a pretty careful comparison of some of the options. I don't claim that my comparison was exhaustive, but it was pretty complete.

Bottom line - of the six lathes that I looked at, there was only one that offered ONLY belt adjustments. But of the five that offered variable speed, in every case that option was in conjunction with a choice between at least two belt pulley positions. In fact, one of the things I looked at was where the belt access was - front or side access was OK for me, but access at the back of the lathe would be a PITA because of how lathe would be placed in my shop.

So the choice really is between a belt-only adjustment, and a combination of belt and variable speed.

That said, I agree with Dan - it is really convenient to be able to reach over to twist a knob to go from low-end drilling speed to high-end turning speed. I find that I leave my lathe belt on the low range (200-1900r/min) most of the time. Obviously, the process is different on different lathes - with mine, it takes about a minute, which isn't really a big inconvenience. Even so, I find myself using the machine primarily on the low range - and that's a reflection on the kind of work that I do. If I were a production pen maker, I'm sure I would be using the high range a lot more.

Fay Prozora

Mine the same way. I can't get ot the back door to fix the belt so I just leave it alone. I'm planning on getting a good stand or bench with casters so I can move it to get to the back door so it is a pain in the A to set t he speed... I should have done more home work on mine, but then mine was on sale and was in my budget so I got it. Fay

dogcatcher

I would first look at the parts issue with Delta before considering a Delta. I haven't checked lately but repair parts were almost non existent awhile back after the Delta sale to a new group.

Next, I really believe you are hooked on woodturning, you might want to consider something larger than a midi. Or 2 or 3 years from now you will probably be looking for a larger lathe.

The variable speed issue is like Cadillac versus Lincoln, whatever floats your boat. I have several lathes, some with variable and some without, I use all of them. The amount of time I spend turning a dial or changing a belt is time spent in the shop and I am happy with both.

bryceprusse

I have had a delta midi for 5 years, which has been great. I need to replace the computer board on the Delta which they are sending me. I just got the new jet midi which is real solid. I have not used the jet much yet. I do like it. I might start using the Jet as my main lathe. It is nice having two as you do not have to change from mandrel then switch to turn between centers. They are both good and both variable speed, the jet has a digital speed reader and the delta does not. The jet has a 12" x 22' span and the Delta has a 12 1/2" x 16" span. You can't go wrong with either one.

Wildman

If stop to think about it all wood lathes are variable speed, whether move belt over pulleys, reeves drive or electronic variable speed to change speeds. I have an EVS lathe and still move belt over pulleys to go from low to high range. Lot depends upon size lathe you are looking at midi or full size and budget.

Delta, Jet, and new Rikon midi lathes with EVS make a nice upgrade especially if want to add optional bed extension later on. JMHO, think Nova lathes nothing more than over priced midi lathes.

Avoid full size lathes with Asian Reeves Drives, when thinks go south hard to find someone knowledgeable to getting back running including service centers. Rikon makes some full size lathes with EVS at completive pricing, but experienced turners wary of them and all of them require 220 V to operate. There are other brands with EVS that would not buy but that is just my opinion. I like my six year old Jet 1642 with EVS and runs on 110V.

Top Bottom