Which Drill Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

Hi all;
i thought I found a deal on e-bay for a mini drill press. But it ran on smoke and the smoke got out, so it no workey anymore. To send it back would cost more in shipping than I paid for it; so are there any brand I should avoid? I know everyone has their favorite; and all have good / bad points. Just looking for something to drill the pens; and not empty the pocket book.
thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gcurran

Mark -- you already have what it takes to drill pen blanks -- a lathe. Seriously, a jacobs chuck in the tail stock and a pin chuck in the head stock and you are set to go. Has to be cheaper than a dedicated drill press. Now, if you "NEED" a press, then I have a Grizzly that I have been very happy with. I have the G7944 floor model, but they do make the G0485, 16 speed bench press that is $199.95.

rherrell

George, I'm curious as to how you drill a blank for a pin chuck when you don't have anything to drill a hole to start with. Even if you were to drill a hole I can't see using a pin chuck for drilling.[?]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by rherrell

George, I'm curious as to how you drill a blank for a pin chuck when you don't have anything to drill a hole to start with. Even if you were to drill a hole I can't see using a pin chuck for drilling.[?]

[?]....and if a woodchuck could chuck wood would a....? Nebber mind. ;)

nava1uni

I have a Rikon 13" drill press that I bought at Woodcraft. It is a work horse, drills nice and straight and I have never had any problem with it. Works Well for many tasks. Also has a deep throat which lets me drill many depths.

hilltopper46

Whatever you get, make sure the quill travel is well over 2 inches in length. The big-box stores sell some bench top DPs that work perfectly well. Delta, Ryobi are only a couple of the brands I've seen.

intillzah

Originally posted by hilltopper46

Whatever you get, make sure the quill travel is well over 2 inches in length. The big-box stores sell some bench top DPs that work perfectly well. Delta, Ryobi are only a couple of the brands I've seen.
I agree, this is why I've passed on some el cheapo DP's. Because they didn't have more than 2" of quill travel. I've found a Delta at Ace Hardware that has 2.5" of travel and that's the one that I'm going to get..... Eventually..[:I]

markgum

My dear wife and son bought me the Ryobi 10" from Home Depot. :D But they also went through my recently acquired blanks and said; we need a pen and pencil set and handed the blanks to me and walked away. I'm sure I'll see the Home Depot bill also...:(
thanks for the advice all.

Top Bottom