Which "Click" pen to get?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_l

Hi all!! My first post after lurking about for a few weeks. :) I hope you folks can help me make my next pen choice. I've made quite a few Slim Lines, some European/Designers pens and several Patriots. I was thinking how much I like a good "click" pen instead of the twist mechanism and figured future customers would like them too.

My question is, who makes a good, dependable "click" pen?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

YoYoSpin

After making literally 1,000's of twist pens, I did my first clickers last week from a PSI kit called the E-Z Grip. Ryan at http://www.woodturningz.com had them on sale and I picked up ten sets. The click mechanics work perfectly...no problem what-so-ever. Nice fit and finish as well. A good, trouble free kit.

BBset11a.jpg

tipusnr

Good looking pens yoyospin!! I really like the design and balance.

As far as the basic question goes I don't really have an answer. I am REALLY in the learning stages on most types of pen making so trade off quality with affordability. If I start selling that it will have to change but historically, in commercially purchased pens, great looks and dependability haven't always had a direct correlation. Many of the fancy pens people have given me needed to be treated with kid's glove and I'm not that kind of pen user.

Bottom line (or maybe mantra) - know your audience!

tipusnr

Bev,

I asked the same thing earlier. They are o-rings. Somewhere in the old messages he listed even where he gets the rings from. Quite a great idea and he's the first one I've ever seen do it. It's on my list of things to try - it's still there!

mike_l

Thanks for the quick answers guys. I bought some pen kits from woodturningz.com just last week and Ryan seemed like a good guy to do business with. I currently give away most of my pens and I did not want people to think I was giving away "junk". :)

I will give Ryan a call to get some comfort pens. But, that will have to wait unitl I get my lathe fixed. I made the mistake of venturing away from pens last night and made a goblet out of a piece of cherry. All went well until I was finishing the bottom. The motor on my Delta Midi began to give out. It will only turn if I give it a little push to get it started. Smells a little burnt also. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

tipusnr

Glad to see that post! I have a Delta mini that I purchased from Woodcraft. No problems so far but it's nice to hear that the product is backed well. Let us know how you come out Mike.

mike_l

My Delta Midi is 3 1/2 years old, so it is out of warranty. I am going to take it to a local shop this week to see if they can repair it for me. I'll let you know how it goes.
You never realize how much you miss turning, until you can't turn!!

Mike L

Andy Ryan

Unforntullay it sounds like you fried the windings. Which means a new motor. proably 100 bucks or so. you might be able to find one though a local electric supply house. Good luck.

Scott

Hi Mike!

My very favorite click pen is the Namiki Vanishing Point! [:D]

I had heard that PSI had a reliable click kit, and it looks like Ed has found it. BTW Ed, those look great! Now I'm going to have to give them a try!

Scott.

mike_l

Good news!! My lathe is fixed!! It was the capacitor. Total cost was $55 to replace it. I get it back tomorrow. I am going to turn a pen or two as soon as I get off work. [:)]

I looked up that Namiki Vanishing Point, now that is a nice pen!!

Mike L

Scott

Hi Mike,

I'm glad it was just the capacitor!

Close to a year ago I decided (upon advice) that if I was going to get serious about making and selling fountain pens, then I needed to learn about fountain pens! So I started buying cheap old worn-out fountain pens off of Ebay. Russ Fairfield recommended I check out the Namiki Vanishing Point - it's been around since the sixties. There are a couple of us that are into this pen. It is one of the cheapest ways to get into a nice fountain pen with a solid gold nib. Of course the one I found that caught my eye had to be a limited edition, the bright yellow one with rodium accents. I am slowly becoming a fountain pen fanatic, and can now talk fountain pens with the pros! ;-)

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom