Which band saw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parson

I only cut pen blanks and small pieces now, but want a band saw that I won't regret purchasing in a year or two.

What would you recommend? What's the minimum HP I want?

What brands should I avoid like the plague?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
The only saw I would recommend to you is the Rikon 14" deluxe, you won't grow out of it and you will never regret buying it.

IPD_Mr

I would stick with a 14" saw. 1 to 1-1/2 hp should be fine. Money is now your next determining factor. Powermatic and Laguna would be top of the line in my book. I use and like my Jet which has a closed base. I do not like the open base saws. Just a personal preference. Seems a little more sturdy too. If you go with a saw like the Jet or the Delta, if the saw becomes your goto saw and you want accuracy, then you will be buying Carter add on products down the line. I am on my third band saw. The first was a Craftsman bench top. It wasn't worth the space on the work bench. Next was a Delta 10" which they don't make anymore. It was junk as well, aluminum table, wobbly legs and less accurate than a blind man with a coping saw. I now have the Jet and doubt I will be upgrading from there.

monark88

Craig's List is a good place to start. My choice would be the Delta 14", but also the Central Machinery (Harbour Freight) 14", which uses Delta replacement parts. And made in Taiwan, under a bunch of different name labels. Grizzly and almost 190 others at last count.

I've had one, bought off C. List for the past 8 years. Had to replace the upper/lower blocks.

OOPS

I ended up purchasing the Rikon 14" bandsaw. It is an excellent saw. I originally thought that it was too big for just cutting pen blanks, but then as time goes along, you end up getting a large piece of wood from a fellow turner, and you need to cut it down, or you get a tree branch and want to make a pen. Pen blanks are easy, but you need size (heft) and power to cut bigger pieces. If ONLY pen blanks, a small bandsaw would be fine, but for more versatility, the 14 inch would give you room to expand your horizons, and take advantage of wood sales, by cutting your own blanks.

In terms of quality, look at the rollers both above and below the bandsaw table. These keep the band straight during a cut. Some of the other bandsaws mentioned here have inferior systems, and some have no lower roller system at all! The more expensive models, Rikon included, have a system designed to handle bigger and tougher projects without sacrificing quality. In band saws, you DO get what you pay for. You need to determine for yourself how much quality you need.

I have a family member who just cuts the typical pen blank into correct size for the pen. She bought a 10" Rikon and it works perfectly for that.

EricJS

A few years ago I bought an 18" Laguna. If I ever decide to downsize, I'll buy the 14" Rikon 10-325 Deluxe that others mentioned. After much research, that is the one I originally intended to buy.

Woodlvr

How about the 10" Rikon with the blade tension release already built on? I know Crapsman has their model and it is the same and a little cheaper but they are never in stock when I try to look at them. I think I would prefer a Rikon myself. YMMV.

sbwertz

Whatever you get, get the riser kit so you can cut more than 5 1/2 inches! Avoid the little 3 wheelers. They aren't up to much more than cutting blanks to length, and they tend to eat blades.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
I grabbed a old Delta from our local saw shop/turning store. Totally rebuilt, other guy didn't pay the bill...oops!! $300 with a 6" riser. Big step up from my Crapsman POC. Rikon is a great choice too!

kovalcik

I just got the Powermatic 14" a few months ago. It came with roller guides, quick blade tension thingy, and a riser block. I am very happy with it. I was looking at the Jet and the sales woman pointed out that the Powermatic came with all the extras that I was going to add to the Jet for less total cost.

Top Bottom