where to start?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been turning for a lot of years... mostly bowls and spindle work. I have made a number of pens, but until now never really had a desire to make them regularly. I guess interests change over time and I have discovered there is a market for them here, so I have decided to get busy.

I have been searching through all of the usual suspect's websites and making a list of the kits that I like and within a price range that I could actually sell without undercutting myself, but my list is Sierra heavy, mainly because I personally don't like a lot of the kits.
(character flaw indicated with bold text)

I would like to have a variety of options to show people, but I have the added expense of buying all of the associated supplies/tooling and such, so I want to limit myself to about 40 or so total kits to start. I guess my question is, if you were limited to 6 or 8 different style kits, which ones would you start with to achieve a range of options for potential customers. I hope that makes sense.

My short list is as follows:
Slimlines
Elegant American Ball Point Pen Kits
Sierra Ballpoint Pen Kits
Sierra Button Click Ballpoint Pen

Elegant Beauty Sierra Ballpoint Pen Kits
Elegant Beauty Sierra Button Click Ballpoint Pen Kits
Baron Rollerball Kits
Cigar
Triton

Thanks in advance for ant thoughts and advise,
Donnie

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I would drop all the pencils and clicks from the list. One pen from the Sierra family is enough, you don't need Sierra AND Elegant Beauty, one or the other. Triton would be a better choice than Baron. Beef up the slims with some comforts and streamlines. I wouldn't think of going out to sell without some cigars. Elegant American will give you some headaches.

IPD_Mrs

Gerry is correct about the cigar. You should really have that as an option. He is also correct about the pencils. One is more than enough in my book. :biggrin: Now I do disagree about the Sierra and Elegant Beauty. I think they are far enough apart that you can offer both.

DonWood

Where To Start

Personally, I would keep in pencils and the Sierra Click Pens. I do fairly well with both. Lots of shows I go to have CPAs coming by and they like the pencils. There are also lots of nurses and nurse's aides in this area and they like the click pen since they normally have a cliipboard in their hand and are not interested in a twist pen or one that the top is separate like the rollerballs.

Just my two cents worth.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

Brooks803

You might want to also add Jr. Gent II's and Jr. Statesmans for your higher end rollerballs. I personally don't care for the sierra's because of how they will come apart. The newer gatsby (PSI) style is a finial twist and looks just like a sierra. I also prefer designers over slimlines.

LeeR

I'm new to turning, and only 6 pens so far. My first was a Streamline Flat Top, and it was a pretty sastifying turn. Next was a European, and way too much effort for my skill level, trying to get the tenon sized right. It turned out fine, but I'll save the rest of those kits for later. Next was a Sierra, and I really enjoyed making it. I've gone crazy buying all the variants, and really like the clean lines of the Elegant Beauty models. I had a bunch of Slimstyles I bought on sale, and made 4 last weekend. Those came out better looking than I thought, but I turned them fatter, tapering to the ends, and like the looks better than the straight/skinny turns. I actually like the looks of the Streamline kit better than the Slimstyle, with the thicker/wider center band with the rings detail.

I think my next 5-6 pens will al be Sierras, I just really like the simplicity. I am not at a point to consider selling, I am mostly building up inventory for Christmas presents.

(And I'll get some pictures taken, since I've been vocal on other hobby forums about posting pics!)

Last edited:

Chthulhu

There are pencil conversion units available for both Parker and Cross pens; it might be worth just ordering a few of those to keep on hand in case some customer desperately wants a pencil. The units simply take the place of the refills.

Schmidt makes the Parker-style units; Swisher Pens offers those, as do several other pen sellers. Cross offers their units directly, though any Cross dealer may have them as well.

glycerine

I'm a big fan of the jr gent (for rollerball or fountain). I live the cigar for ballpoint because of the weight. My customers like the "heft" of the cigar as well. I'm curious where you are from in central AR. I used to live in Conway.

OKLAHOMAN

First I need to know what is going to be your avenue of selling, craft shows, gun shows, festivals, higher end art shows, friends and family,consignment, etc?

aggromere

I would drop the clicks and pencils as well. I would not make a sierra or any pen with a nib twist end, only finial twist. I am no a fan of slimlines but I know they are big sellers for most that make them. I basically only make 5 types of pens regularly. If I were starting out I might limit myself to as few types as possible. The problem is for each kit you get you will need bushings and drill bits. Pens with two barrels will take two different bits usually. (except for the slimline and a couple others).

You might want to find the chart someone made about bushings/bits, etc. for each kit or just look at all the vendor web sites. I would try and find different looking kits that used the same drill bits. That way you could limit your expenses and if you end up not liking a kit you can still use the bit you bought.

As for what sells, I don't have a clue. I think everyone is a little different. Figure out who you are going to sell to and what they like.

I'm a big fan of the jr gent (for rollerball or fountain). I live the cigar for ballpoint because of the weight. My customers like the "heft" of the cigar as well. I'm curious where you are from in central AR. I used to live in Conway.

I live in the Benton/Bryant area in Saline County

First I need to know what is going to be your avenue of selling, craft shows, gun shows, festivals, higher end art shows, friends and family,consignment, etc?

I run a paint and hardware department for one of the Big Box Marts which brings me into contact with a lot of people every day. A few months ago I started keeping a few turnings behind my paint counter to use for examples of different finishes we sell.

This chit-chat has led to the sale of several of my older turnings such as a few bowls, bracelets, and some whistles I've made... kitless whistles I might add. Back when I was turning on a daily basis, I had sent some things with a clock making scroll saw guy I know to a local craft festival and to the county fair... but that was a couple of years ago. I will probably get my own small table space at both of those events this coming year.

A couple of years ago I got so sick that I pretty much had to give up turning. A few weeks ago I pulled my lathe out of hybridization, cleaned it up, and chucked up a bowl that was laying on my lathe bench. I had started that bowl a year or so earlier and finally finished it... took a long time, but I finished it nonetheless. It made me realize just how much I missed turning.

Now that I'm building a small turning shop and gearing up to get back to the lathe on a regular basis, I want to do it with a purpose. Pens would be something else to offer to my usual line up.

Sorry for the book, but that pretty much sums it up.

OKLAHOMAN

Tells me pretty much that working for a big box your working opens,closings, 2 weekends a month at times, and being the dept. manager sometimes changing your schedule to cover for employees that at the last minute need off. This would limit you to local craft shows,(shows that are just a couple hr. drive) that would mesh with your schedule, maybe also gun shows (Lots in central Arkansas) continue your showing at work as long as the management approves.
Slims,Serra's,Triton's,Cigars are a good start and gives you a rounded selection with out being over inventoried with kits(I hate the word kit when ever talking to customers, use components). bushings,etc.. Leave the pencils alone they are not big sellers and they all have some problems. This is my 2 cents worth and being you haven't even paid me the 2 cents:wink: I don't guarantee any of the above.:wink::biggrin::rolleyes:

IPD_Mrs

My 2 cents is listen to Roy, with one possible exception. With where you are showing your craft, the toolbox pencil just might be a surprise seller for you.

PenMan1

I have deleted slimlines, because they just don't sell in my market. In it's place, I have added the comfort pen (omitting the rubber thingy). The comforts sell very well because they fit men's hands and are about the same price as slimjims.

The designers do VERY well for me. I make these with TN and RH finishes, add a private reserve refill. I keep a new Mont Blanc Miesterstuck to compare against the designer. I sell a LOT of European/ designers in BLACK:)

I deleted the Barons, Sedonas, JR Gents because my customers don't like the look of the plastic threads. I sell a bunch of Tritons and several Rhinehearts because of the threads.

OKLAHOMAN

My 2 cents is listen to Roy, with one possible exception. With where you are showing your craft, the toolbox pencil just might be a surprise seller for you.

I have deleted slimlines, because they just don't sell in my market. In it's place, I have added the comfort pen (omitting the rubber thingy). The comforts sell very well because they fit men's hands and are about the same price as slimjims.

The designers do VERY well for me. I make these with TN and RH finishes, add a private reserve refill. I keep a new Mont Blanc Miesterstuck to compare against the designer. I sell a LOT of European/ designers in BLACK:)100 in my inventory

I deleted the Barons, Sedonas, JR Gents because my customers don't like the look of the plastic threads. I sell a bunch of Tritons and several Rhinehearts because of the threads.

Plastic threads on the Jr. Gent?, Andy I've got over 100 in my inventory and not a single plastic thread...

PenMan1

Yeah, Roy, a long time ago I bought a big batch of the JR Gents. The gold finishes all had the plastic threads like the Baron. I finally just tossed those and make the Jr Gent II with the "metal" threads.

THEN, about the time the JR II changed to "Artisian" I got another batch that the cap threads didn't work well. I got that fixed (finally)! Then along came the Tritons and saved my life!

I do make a bunch of Jr Staties!

OKLAHOMAN

Ok I see now. I've never used the gold, just not the plating I sell, if they want a gold finish I have the gold ti. Also for some reason I haven't had the thread problem others have.

PenMan1

I really like the JR Marshall. I made (and sold immediately) four of these. This set reminds me of a very elegant Jr Retro. I'll be making a lot more of these. I upgraded the JR Gent TN to the JR State, replaced the gold Jr Gent with Triton, kept the JR Gent Rhodium. Replaced the Baron, Sedona, Jr Retro with Rhineheart. This mix does well for me, except Rhineheart needs to do better.

Top Bottom