Where to Start

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ben Holt

I'm a newbie at turning. Haven't even done my first pen. I wanted to see how to best utilize this site to learn and get going.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Welcome from Northwest Arkansas. I visited this forum at least weekly for about 6 months or more before I made my first pen. I've made more than 50 pens now...I'm not what you would call a "seasoned veteran", but I'm not a complete rookie either.

Three thoughts:
1. Just pop in daily and look at what's on the front page. That will lead you to explore a wide variety of topics, based on whatever conversations are happening that day.

2. The IAP Library, amazing. There are articles on everything from just getting started to very advanced topics...kitless penmaking, blank casting, metalwork, etc.

3. Specific forums. There's one on "Penturning"...one called "Show Off Your Pens"...a couple for blank making, etc.

All great sources of information, instruction, and inspiration. Also, if you have any questions, the folks on this forum are very good to provide advice. But beware...many times the advice is "you have to try and figure it out for yourself"...which is often frustrating to hear, but also often the best advice.

You might want also want to hit youtube and search for pen turning...there are several videos.

If you haven't determined your list of starter tools (lathe, chisels, etc.), there will be plenty of advice on this forum for that. Use the search feature, you'll find threads going back years and years.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction.

jfoh

Welcome. I sent you a PM. There is a ton of information here just for the reading and don't be afraid to borrow tips or learn from others. Some of our best days turning, were mistakes made, that send us off into another direction. Recovery of a blank, which comes apart in turning, is not beyond normal for real challenging blanks. Turn a pen and learn as you go. Good luck, oh and bring more money.

Warren White

Agreed...

...but the other thing I would suggest is to find someone to mentor you. You could look at the member map (I think there are 24 turners listed for Ohio), see if any are close to you.

You could also try some of the woodworking stores like Woodcraft and see if they can put you in touch with turners around you.

My experience has been that a mentor is essential. I am forever grateful for mine.

Good luck!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Ben:

These two threads by Chris (thewishman) were initiated for exactly what you are asking! They will give you a head start to get some logical experience. Nothing will beat simply putting the gouge to the wood and making mistakes (and learning), but it surely is nice to have some guidance to give direction.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/starting-out-i-only-want-buy-things-once-what-best-134739/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/starting-out-inexpensively-what-do-i-have-have-134740/

Keep asking questions!

Mark

EDIT: What equipment do you have so far? What are you considering buying? Many members will give suggestions on where to spend your money best! (I mean to avoid our mistakes on buying stuff we wish we had spent elsewhere in six months).

Last edited:

WriteON

I'm a newbie at turning. Haven't even done my first pen. I wanted to see how to best utilize this site to learn and get going.

I started by watching a uTube on pen making. It gave me idea of what to do. Once I got started I learned by mistakes/failures. I was fortunate to discover IAP.
Please...wear safety equipment. Protect your eyes,ears/nose. Do not turn the lathe on until you protect yourself. Safety first...each and every time. Have fun.

Top Bottom