Where to place the clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

I don't remember if this has been discussed before. On some of my wood pens I look at the cap and have a hard time placing the clip.Diane has asked me to place the clip where the grain is the plainest so that the best looking side is shown fully.I say close to wild grain what say you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

In general, I like the nicest part of the blank to show when I'm writing, so that means the clip is about an eighth of a turn to the right of that spot. This also seems to work best for photos, as I like to show the clip quartering- not dead on, and not in silhouette either.

Dan

alamocdc

Roy, I usually do what Diane has suggested. I hate covering the better grain with the clip so I try to find the most plain part of the barrel in question. And then sometimes it's just a crap shoot.

Buzz

I usually place it to cover the plainest part of the blank. Although in future I'll be thinking about the suggestion of placing it so that the user is viewing the best figure. I'll just have to remember though that most people, unlike me, are right handed:)

fiferb

I take the lower barrel into consideration as well. I try to look at the overall pen and position the clip so the best side is up and toward the writer.

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by rherrell

I usually place the clip to hide my mistakes.:D:D:D
Me too... Problem is, I can't figure out how to make a pen with 5 or 6 clips... :D

sbell111

We used to put the clips to the the plainest side of the wood. Then we realized that when we are showing pens, the clips are up. We want people to see the best view of the wood prior to picking up the pen, so we now place the clip so it actually highlights the best part of the wood.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Put the clip wherever you think it looks best. If my observation of lookers and buyers is an indication, 1/4 would agree with your choice, 1/4 wouldn't agree, and the other half couldn't tell the difference.

Top Bottom