Where to get new mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It appears that my mandrel is slightly bent. I can't tell by looking at it unless it's running on the lathe, then it looks like the middle wobbles. I've ensured the tail stock isn't too tight. I'm sure I bent it when I first started turning because I was tightening down the tail stock pretty tight...I thought the tighter the better...So, lesson learned!

Anyway, I need to buy another mandrel. This time, I'd like to get one that is adjustable so I can make it very short and almost simulate TBC. I've just about got everything I need for TBC but I want a mandrel anyway because it might be easier for my son to use and I don't have the right bushings for TBC for ALL of my kits.

Anyone know where I can find a good one for a good price?

Thanks!

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

I like the Woodcraft replacement mandrels when I was using them.
Good price, and they did not have anything extra on the back end, so you could
slide them in a collet chuck.
The one from PSI in it's own little collet chuck thing was never too bad, either.

its_virgil

Every supplier of pen kits also sell mandrels and other pen turning tools and supplies. So, you have lots of choices for mandrels. Most of the ones I've purchased were much the same in quality. I get them from Woodcraft because I am close to a woodcraft store about twice a month. Their mandrels may be the best of all the ones I've purchased. I now make my own mandrels using letter D drill rod. I thread the end to accept the brass nut and use a center drill to drill the 60 degree dimple in the end. Johnnhycnc sells center drills. Making my own mandrels allows me to make them any length I need.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

It appears that my mandrel is slightly bent. I can't tell by looking at it unless it's running on the lathe, then it looks like the middle wobbles. I've ensured the tail stock isn't too tight. I'm sure I bent it when I first started turning because I was tightening down the tail stock pretty tight...I thought the tighter the better...So, lesson learned!

Anyway, I need to buy another mandrel. This time, I'd like to get one that is adjustable so I can make it very short and almost simulate TBC. I've just about got everything I need for TBC but I want a mandrel anyway because it might be easier for my son to use and I don't have the right bushings for TBC for ALL of my kits.

Anyone know where I can find a good one for a good price?

Thanks!

Mike

Mr Vic

Mike - I've been using the adjustable rom Woodcraft. They also sell replacement rods. If your mandrel shaft is removeable; roll it on a piece of sheet glass If bent it will show as wobbly.

randyrls

Just a note. The PSI mandrels are just a smidge smaller than the Woodcraft mandrels. I first noticed this when PSI bushings would fit on PSI mandrels but were too small for the Woodcraft mandrels. I had to ream out the bushings using a sandpaper covered dowel with the bushing held in my lathe drill chuck.

Possibly, where is a difference in the tolerance allowance between the two.

Top Bottom