Where to buy the best Churchill?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

Greetings, all-
Hope I've chosen the right forum for this. I need to buy a few Ti gold Churchill rollerball kits and I remember that some Churchills had an issue with the nib coupler. Has that been corrected, and should I be buying the kits with the metal or plastic pieces?

Thanks,
Catherine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
All Berea kits (and Berea coined the name "Churchill" but others have marketed kits by this same name) have the metal piece either in the "bag" or it is shipped to the dealer with their order, to be added to the bags.

Best idea, call your preferred vendor and ask if they include the metal piece.

Texatdurango

Catherine, I would call Arizona Silhouette Berea Hardwoods Pen Kit Images . They have some pretty good prices on, and carry most if not all of the Berea kits and also carry extra bushings, tubes and more importantly the proper size drill bits as well as lots of goodies.

I read in a thread yesterday that they just changed hands but their new number is on the website.

JD Combs Sr

I have made and sold several Churchills and also used some of the components for replica cigars. I have use both the Berea version and the one from the Golden Nib(they call it a Windsor but it is the same style). With the improved coupler on the Berea both pens are good bets.

I found these points with each:

Berea:
- Use this one if the customer wants it to post. "Most" of the caps will post on this one though it is not intended as a post-able pen.
-Although the coupler(not sure if it is one or 2 piece, see below) has been improved the pen does use a little more plastic. I haven't used one for a while but I believe the nib section may be plastic.

Golden Nib:
-Top post is a few thousandths smaller and will not keep the cap on if posted.
(the Churchill pen is not intended to be a post-able it is very heavy)
-All Black parts are brass. However, the center coupler is a two piece and I have had them come apart.

YMMV
JDC

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Catherine, I would call Arizona Silhouette Berea Hardwoods Pen Kit Images . They have some pretty good prices on, and carry most if not all of the Berea kits and also carry extra bushings, tubes and more importantly the proper size drill bits as well as lots of goodies.

I read in a thread yesterday that they just changed hands but their new number is on the website.

Actually Catherine, since you are in Canada, Arizona Silhouette has, in the past, been unwilling to ship to you. And since their inventory is still in transit, they are a poor suggestion right now.

Wm Woodwrite in Canada would be a better recommendation.

Katya

Yes, I've purchased from William Wood-Write - great vendors (and they host a terrific forum, btw). Just wondering about the nib coupler.. looks like plastic from the photo.

And I think that the problem I had with it was with the *metal* version.. I had to swap it out for the plastic one on the sterling silver kit a while back. Can you tell me what the problem was that others had with the kit? Which coupler is now the better choice to use? My client likes the idea of the cap being postable (which my silver pen does).

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If in doubt, and you're dealing with them, call William Woodwrite, they'll let you know one way or the other!

If not, there are many Berea vendors out there. I don't know who, exactly, is a Berea dealer, other than one of them who has chimed in in this thread! :)

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The complaint was that the nib coupler can break (when it is plastic). As is usually the case, there were individuals saying several had broken for them.

A couple of the people said it broke when they took it out of their pocket----later, explaining their PANTS pocket. So, when they sat down, the pen could not bend in their pocket, instead it broke.

But, whatever the cause, Berea did have new parts made in metal. The kits I have seen now have both the metal and the plastic parts. OR, the metal parts are shipped by Berea to the dealer to be sold with the "kit" which has the plastic parts in it.

And yes, I am pretty familiar with kits---I don't do "kitless"!!

Katya

I'm a huge fan of Exotic blanks.. fabulous stuff!:biggrin:
Thanks for all the sage advice, Ed. I'll do a bit more homework and talk to Lillian or Bill at WWW tomorrow.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And yes, I am pretty familiar with kits---I don't do "kitless"!!

And if you ever saw him turn, Catherine, you'd know why. I've seen him burn through acrylics taking deep cuts that would scare the life out of any sensible person. All I could do was stand there with my mouth open! :wink:

Thanks, Billy!!!

Funny thing is I took that out of my demos, until yesterday.

Forgot what a neat reaction it gets!!!!!!!!!!!

From now on, if I CAN get it into the "act", I will!!!

BTW, if you are in the FRONT row, DON"T open your mouth!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

zig613

Yes, I've purchased from William Wood-Write - great vendors (and they host a terrific forum, btw). Just wondering about the nib coupler.. looks like plastic from the photo.

FYI, I have purchased the Churchill from Bill at WWW. The kit comes with both the metal and plastic coupler.

Wade

dexter0606

Greetings, all-
Hope I've chosen the right forum for this. I need to buy a few Ti gold Churchill rollerball kits and I remember that some Churchills had an issue with the nib coupler. Has that been corrected, and should I be buying the kits with the metal or plastic pieces?

Thanks,
Catherine

Catherine
Considering you're in Toronto, your best bet is Bill at William-Woodwrite just outside of Guelph. He sells the Berea kits that you want.
His website is
www.penblanks.ca

Guess I should have read the rest of the posts :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom