Where to buy delrin rods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jontello

I am looking to buy some delrin rods now that I am back in the states to make some pen part holders for my lathe. I was wondering where to beat and least expensive place to buy them would be. Thanks for your help.

Jon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Jon.

Internet may be cheaper, but I got a bunch from Grainger - They have stores in Akron and Cleveland.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am looking to buy some delrin rods now that I am back in the states to make some pen part holders for my lathe. I was wondering where to beat and least expensive place to buy them would be. Thanks for your help.

Jon
previous message.

Bats

I either order from McMaster-Carr or off Ebay, depending on how lazy I'm feeling and whether I can be bothered to hunt for bargains. One tip, though: Delrin is a name brand product - for most purposes acetal is the same thing, and tends to be significantly cheaper. Depending on what you want it for, HDPE (as dogcatcher mentioned) or UHMW (both polyethylenes) may also do the job.

RobS

Here is a plastic distributor that I use often:

penicillin

I live near Industrial Plastic Supply in Anaheim, California. I buy a variety of plastics from them for various projects. They are only a few minutes away, so I just drive there and buy what I need. If I walk in, there are no shipping costs, and I can talk with an expert about which plastics match my needs. This is a commercial place that caters to contractors, construction people, labs, etc. They are nice to non-experts like me, too. They don't have a fancy showroom, just a typical commercial order desk with a big warehouse behind it, full of different plastic items.

-> I wonder if you live near a similar commercial plastics supply source?

Off topic - Here are a couple non-penturning projects where I bought plastic from them:
* Someone in our family had a condo with exposed stairs and balcony over the living room. The metal rail had wide gaps where a baby could fall through. I bought acrylic sheets and attached them to the rail to prevent injury. The plastic was so clear that you could not see it from below.
* I bought plastic sheets, 1/4 inch square plastic rod and special cement. I cut them to shape and cemented the rod around three sides. I put them under our washer/dryer and refrigerator with the open end facing forward. If one of the appliances leaks, the water will be contained and drain out the front where we will detect it, rather than allowing it to pool unseen behind the appliance and damage the flooring.

Last edited:

Bats

McMaster-Carr. Reliable, speedy service and seldom if ever out of stock.
And they've even started showing shipping estimates when you order like the rest of the universe, instead of leaving you in the dark until it goes out the door and they bill you, which was something that always bothered me about them - especially when buying large/heavy/unusually shaped stuff (like 1" x 8ft rods).

Penchant 4

And they've even started showing shipping estimates when you order like the rest of the universe, instead of leaving you in the dark until it goes out the door and they bill you, which was something that always bothered me about them - especially when buying large/heavy/unusually shaped stuff (like 1" x 8ft rods).
In the nearly 5 years that I have been doing regular business with McMaster-Carr; they have always give an estimated delivery date with notice that the order was accepted.

Obviously, mileage can vary.

Oliver X

I'm pretty sure that was a dig on the fact that they didn't calculate shipping at checkout. You'd get some fun surprises like $100 to ship $15 worth of drill rod.

Bats

In the nearly 5 years that I have been doing regular business with McMaster-Carr; they have always give an estimated delivery date with notice that the order was accepted.
Estimated delivery date, yes - they've always been good about that. What they didn't do until recently is give estimated (or actual) postage. You had to wait until they actually shipped it (and charged you) to see what you were being billed for shipping.

Penchant 4

Estimated delivery date, yes - they've always been good about that. What they didn't do until recently is give estimated (or actual) postage. You had to wait until they actually shipped it (and charged you) to see what you were being billed for shipping.
Clarification understood.

Top Bottom