Where Parts Come From

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Harold in CR

Harold in CR

Maybe some of y'all are interested in where the parts come from, when you select the sizes of pieces of wood.

Here's how I do it.

Guess you can't put photos INTO the text on this site ??

Anyway, This is a Pilon Tree that fell over from old age. It produced 10 logs from 8'--20' long. It sawed out at over 4000 bdft of lumber.

My Portable Sawmill goes to the log, not like other mills that you take the log to the mill.

The Pilon was over 6' dia. at it's largest measurement, which was at the junction of the limbs. The color was bright as we sawed the logs, but, they darker considerably when dry.

Most of this was a customers logs, but, I did receive some of the wood for the sawing. I have turned a few pieces, made some chair parts and even Curtain Rod holders I turned. I still have 2 Table Top "Cookies" of 4'+ and 3'+, PLUS a square piece of the limb junction, that is 4'+ X 4'+ X 3" thick, for my, "Someday" Computer Desk.

Hope some of you enjoy the photos. I don't want to overload this site, since it's about PEN Turning, NOT, Sawmilling.

Attachments

• Pilon1.jpg
    Pilon1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Pilon3.jpg
    Pilon3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 219
  • Pilon4.jpg
    Pilon4.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Pilon2.jpg
    Pilon2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Pilon12.jpg
    Pilon12.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

That is very cool to see. Thanks for sharing. Does your sawmill come apart so you can transport it? How long does it take to cut up a piece like the one in the picture? How thick are the planks that can be seen in the photo? I like know where things come from and the process by which it happens.

David Keller

That's a hell of a tree! I've never heard of a pilon tree... Is there another name for it? It reminds me of redheart or bloodwood.

Harold in CR

The sawmill is actually 7 pieces. There are 2 4 X 4's that lay on the ground, with Aluminum Brackets, that the tracks lay in. There are 4 sections of track, joined as 2 sets. Then there is the Carriage with sawframe.

The Sawhead raises up and down in the Carriage, by use of a hand winch. That is also how the depth of cut is measured. There is a hand wheel that runs the Sawhead left and right. That's how the width of the cut is measured.
There are 2 wheels with legs that attach under the sawhead, that when the sawhead is lowered, it actually raises the Carriage off the tracks. Then, 1 person can step inside the Carriage, and take a rail of the carriage in each hand, and wheel the whole carriage off, similar to driving a wheelbarrow.

Usually takes 1 or more to help push-pull the carriage to the track, when in the jungle or on unlevel ground.

My Costa Rican Wife is my main helper doing all this, besides sometimes pulling lumber off the log and stacking it. Nearly all the wood down here is heavy, and, she has moved TONS of wood by herself, after I coached her how to do it the easiest way possible. On a good day, with nice sized (36"-44" logs) we can saw over 1000-1400 bd/ft of lumber.

We have sawn from ½" thick, to 8" thick, and from ½" wide to 16" wide. It's possible to saw 8" X 16" pieces X 20' long, and we have sawn 2" X 8" X 40' long, but she didn't help on that job. :wink:

The log being sawn in the photo took 1½ days. It was 4'+ dia and 12' long. I had a crew doing most of the work.

That tree is called Pilon (Pee lone). I have some projects made using that wood. I will start another thread showing different wood and things we have made from them.

I have NEVER tried Pen Turning, however. :redface::redface:

Actually, in Florida, with our Homemade Band Sawmill, my Son and I have sawn a little Blood wood. It's Bloody HARD. Had a saw job for a tree trimmer that got logs from Miami, from where people brought them from their home country and set them out as saplings.

Harold in CR

Right now, I am seeking input from a couple guys that ARE selling bits of wood, on this site. Being that different species and different looks of finished pieces, do NOT suit all turners and Customers, I would welcome advice on exactly what y'all look for, when choosing wood.

I have a small wood shop, and can cut about anything and any design out of most species we have down here.

I would like to offer stuff to y'all, just give me some GOOD, SOUND ideas of what y'all want.

I did cut up a few pieces today, and talked to my daughter, to get photos of what is already in Florida, so y'all can get some idea of what we can offer.

I am struggling with a way to get the wood to y'all, affordably. THAT will be the deal maker-breaker. Maybe some kind of bulk shipping or something ??

Should be some photos, sometime this week. I still have some cabinet work to get done, before the Customers visit my shop, with machetes in hand. :eek::eek::eek::)

Harold in CR

Here's a couple more photos of some different species we saw up.

Smaller reddish piece is Cucaracho
Yellow is Yemma De Huevo
Square beam is Sura
Larger reddish piece is Tamarindo or Ron-Ron. Locals seem to get these mixed up, according to area.
Log is Ojoche (O Ho Chee). It has the nice Red colors throughout the log, sometimes. :rolleyes::)

Attachments

• Cucaracho1.jpg
    Cucaracho1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Yemma De Huevo.jpg
    Yemma De Huevo.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Sura2.jpg
    Sura2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Tamarindo.jpg
    Tamarindo.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Ojoche and George 001.jpg
    Ojoche and George 001.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 101

SDB777

If it weren't for the guys running the saws, there would probably be fewer pens being made. I love to cut wood in the field and then turn it into something great(although, I'm still working on the great part).

Cool set-up, and very nice wood! I can see your Inbox being flooded with requests now....

BTW, Welcome aboard and hope to see some of those great pieces being offered!!!

Scott (Costa Rica wood rules!!) B

Top Bottom