Where do you do your casting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

The living room? Ya the wife is hooked too!

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 338
  • Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Resize Wizard-3.jpg
    Resize Wizard-3.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 311
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

You and the wife are going to be high as a kite if you stay in the house!! I personally wouldn't cast indoors, I don't think it's safe...

Rick P

OUtside temps never got above 58........we had the window cracked and it smells a hell of a lot better than musk ox horn!

+1 one the not safe! You need to be wearing respirators and to do it away from the inside of your house! Keep yourself and your family safe.

philb

Open fire log burner and toxic fumes? Hmmmm

Do all mine in the garden! Last time I did any fiberglassing (same smell) I couldn't get the smell out the house for 5 days!! Haha

Last edited:

renowb

I agree with the others. It is potent and will be detrimental to your health! Don't Do It!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
those fumes do damage to your central nervous system, lungs and possibly increase
the risk of certain types of cancer (if you live in California)

DozerMite

Banned
Tell your friends and family not to be surprised when they read your obituary.:eek:

Everyone is a caster, but no one reads.:rolleyes:

People see something and say to themselves........ I can do that. They don't bother to do any research. Why research when all these other people are doing it? It has to be safe.

And don't think it's just the resin that's toxic.

MSDS

Last edited:

Rick P

Dozxermite I did do a lot of reading before casting, frankly there are far more toxic adhesives in your carpet and counter tops that are used inside all the time. No one said a word when I casted 25 feet from this very spot in my shop! The can only says "Use in a well ventilated area" and none of the articles in the library said a damn thing about a respirator.

I apreciate the warnings and I will heed them but can the attitude! We have all done something dumb, some of us more than once...........

DozerMite

Banned
Dozxermite I did do a lot of reading before casting, frankly there are far more toxic adhesives in your carpet and counter tops that are used inside all the time. No one said a word when I casted 25 feet from this very spot in my shop! The can only says "Use in a well ventilated area" and none of the articles in the library said a damn thing about a respirator.

I apreciate the warnings and I will heed them but can the attitude! We have all done something dumb, some of us more than once...........

There is NO attitude.

You obviously did NOT do the research! The library is NOT research. It may tell you how different people create their casts, but it is far from a MSDS sheet. That WILL tell you to use a respirator. Along with the complete list of hazzards and health risks that you are willing to place you, your wife, and any other living being in the presence of chemicals. The reason the library doesn't tell you to use a respirator, because most people don't know they need one. They think the smell is just something they have to deal with in the hobby.

When my carpet, countertop or anything else that enters my HOME, actually enters my home, it is fully cured and the toxins are stabilized. When resin is fully cured, THEN it's safe to bring inside.

It's not the resin that's toxic, it's the additives such as the accelerators, dilutants and such. Try reading a little on the pigments you are using to color your resin. Think that is safe too?

Now, would you care to know that the flashpoint of the resin is 88 degrees? Why not just place your casts directly on the woodburner or the heater on the side of your room?

People are entirely to passive about casting and everyone thinks it's safe.

Just do the research, you may change your perspective.

People use toaster ovens to help their curing. Is that safe? Well, no one has had a bad experience with it, YET. Just like everyone was using the HF PP. Now that there have been a few explosions, is it still safe? Some have changed their minds.

Casting isn't anything difficult, but the precautions need to be applied.
A forum is not the place I would rely on for the safety of my family!

I only hope that people will cast SAFE. It's NOT attitude, just passing along the correct information to help people cast SAFE.
You nor anyone else has to pay any attention to me, but at least do yourself and your family a favor and read the MSDS on anything you are unfamiliar with and stay happy and healthy.

I hate reading those posts stating we lost someone or someone is in the hospital.

/rant

Last edited:

Rick P

So as it turns out my wife is far better at getting a good looking blank consistently than I am. I am saving most of hers for pens but she made a stopper blank and I used some of my less stunning blanks to turn a set of darts. The fit could be better and the stopper is showing a couple of small bubbles but I am happy for our second try at casting.

Thank you to those of you who offered cautions with respect, it is appreciated........those who acted like I am a 2 year old can join Dozermite and pound sand!

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 172

its_virgil

I see no attitude issue on DozerMite's part, but instead a very concerned member trying to give some really valuable information.We can never be too safe with polyester resin and especially MEKP. The fire hazard worries me more than anything to do with polyester resin and MEKP.

And, for what it is worth, probably nothing, I think your last comment is totally uncalled for and way out of line.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanZ

Agreed. I saw no attitude in DozerMite's post.

I've only cast once so far, but am setting up to do more casting (and stabilization)

I very much appreciated his comments and warnings.

Rick P

Thanks for the coments on the castings, I respectfully disagree with the posts about Dozer and please read my recent post of caution..........maybe we all can gain something from my stupidity.

I don't hug!

Attachments

• 4096674623_bd8d1a3931_b.jpg
    4096674623_bd8d1a3931_b.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 159
Top Bottom