when is the best time to engrave?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

If I wanted to get a pen laser engraved when is the best time in the process to do that... Before or After the CA finish?

Are there any concerns in engraving through the finish? I know we have alot of engravers out there!

Thanks
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

from Ken's site

5. For all small logo and single line text engraving please send your pens already finished and assembled. The laser engraving process produces a slight resinous deposit around the engraved area which is easily cleaned up with water if the pen already has a finish on it. If the pen does not have a finish on it, the resin will soak into the unfinished wood which will require re-sanding to remove.

Crashmph

FYI... most laser engraving will crack a CA finish all around the engraving. For a CA finish it is best to engrave first then apply a CA finish.

Crashmph

It does not happen all the time for me, but it does happen about 20% off the time. 20% is enough for me to CA after the engraving. As a plus for me, I like the filled in engraving better anyway. Looks more professional IMHO.

I've never experienced this problem and have engraved a boat load of pens with a ca finish.

Sylvanite

I've never seen (or even heard of) a cracking issue either. I've laser-engraved many CA finished pens (perhaps not as many as Stan, but hundreds) without any cracking. I really don't see why cracking would occur. CA is an acrylic, and a CO2 laser engraves acrylic very cleanly with good resolution.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom