When is a truffle not a truffle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from healeydays

healeydays

Folks,

Here are two Artisan Executive Rollerballs that I made using George's Bits of Timber's (robutacion) truffle. Like George said before I bought the blanks, "this stuff cuts like butter" and he was right. The end result can have a tobacco look to it.

Pardon the photos as these were taken with my cell phone as I wanted to get a shot before I send them off to a charity auction I made them for.

Mike B

C & C welcomed

Attachments

• Truffle 1.jpg
    Truffle 1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Truffle 2.jpg
    Truffle 2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 373
  • Truffle 3.jpg
    Truffle 3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

I'll admit I'm the guy who bought the rest of his lots he had for sale. When you see something you like, get it...

robutacion

G'day Mike,

I believe, these are the first 2 pens I've seen make with the Truffle.

I don't know what finish you used, I don't think is CA but the colour produced is what I know and test before. I would prefer to see a deep gloss CA finish but, that's me obviously.

You done very good work with those 2 blanks and those kits, certainly something different and something that those that purchase some will be mesmerized with the way the cut and sand, just an absolute pleasure to work with...!

Keep up the good work, lets see some more...!

Thank for showing them...!

Cheers
George

healeydays

Thanks George,

My wife had asked for a natural finish for these pens, and since they were for her to auction off at 2 different holiday charity auctions I did what I was asked. The finish is a modified French polish using shellac then an end polish with carnauba wax. I tried not to put too many coats on it as I wanted the natural wood to stand out over a glass type finish you get from a full French polish so it was 2 coats of shellac and 1 waxing.

I can't use regular CA as I seem to be allergic to it and like the look of shellac and wax on woods such as this.

robutacion

Thanks George,

My wife had asked for a natural finish for these pens, and since they were for her to auction off at 2 different holiday charity auctions I did what I was asked. The finish is a modified French polish using shellac then an end polish with carnauba wax. I tried not to put too many coats on it as I wanted the natural wood to stand out over a glass type finish you get from a full French polish so it was 2 coats of shellac and 1 waxing.

I can't use regular CA as I seem to be allergic to it and like the look of shellac and wax on woods such as this.

Mike,

Sure mate, these look extremely good in the natural finish and maybe a "fairer"/more appropriate finish as the Truffle has a very special and different smell that wood lovers would like and appreciate so, the fact that I said I would like to see them with a deep gloss finish, I should have said that, I would like to see "some" of the Truffle blanks finished that way, as I'm yet to finish a raw piece of Truffle, I've done stabilised and cast.

One thing that I would do if was myself and wanted to have the natural finished and that is, I would stabilise the blank, why...??? because in my view anyone that wants to present a natural finish in a pen and what it to stay looking good, clean and strong, no other process would give the wood what the proper stabilizing would give, that is, wood hardness, wood stability, wood sealing capabilities and no other product would be necessary to finish it, a simple fine sanding and a good rub with the common acrylic polishing liquid/past and the wood will preserve all its natural colours with allowing dirt and everyday contamination elements to affect the wood and finish, making to look good, always and for cleaning, a simple rub with polish compound and is as new...!

For me, there is an added cost of $1.50 for the stabilization of each blank, for pens to be finished with CA, stabilizing wouldn't be necessary but for natural finish, that would be well worth it...!:wink:

Cheers
George

healeydays

Ok you talked me into it. When I get that shipment from Australia, I will take a couple and stabilize them and turn a nice shiny one.

robutacion

Ok you talked me into it. When I get that shipment from Australia, I will take a couple and stabilize them and turn a nice shiny one.

Hahahah, I wasn't trying to convince you but, suggest a better way to make wooden pens with a natural look/finish..!

Your next package, is on route, somewhere, it will reach you, soon...!

Cheers
George

SDB777

Very well done Mike, those look great.
George, you have some outstanding wood

Gotta stop talking about Georges' wood, it'll get all hard

to get and everything.

Outstanding pair, will you get to find out at what price they sold for?

Scott (ah crud, gotta get dressed now) B

Top Bottom