When I was a kid...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

When I was a kid I ...

loved spaghetti! My sister hated spaghetti. She would take her's and mine and take it outside and toss it over the fence to the neighbors yard. I would be very angry and climb over the fence to retrieve my dinner. One time I sliced my leg open on a dog crate by jumping over the fence and the dog attacked me. I punched and kicked at the dog while at the same time trying to eat my spaghetti before he could. My sister ran for help. My mother came and pulled the dog off me and in doing so discovered what all was happening. I never had to eat my spaghetti off the neighbors lawn again! :laugh:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RickW

LOML says we are having spaghetti for supper today. I asked her to leave off the grass. She looked at me like...HUH??

jkeithrussell

Ok...I suppose I deserved that! :rolleyes: I just thought maybe a few others might share some of their crazy childhood moments.

Where I grew up, we had large grasshoppers that made a buzzing a clicking sound when they jumped/flew away. I was scared of them. One day I was with my dad and one of them flew up in front me and startled me. My dad popped my butt and told me not to be a sissy. After that, I was afraid of my dad and grasshoppers.

I don't care about spaghetti one way or the other, but my sister was mean to me, too.

wudnhed

I grew up with 3 older brothers. On our block there was another family with 3 boys, another with 2, and another with 2 boys, all of which were around or the same as as my brothers. needless to say, I grew up as a tomboy. Tried to keep up with the boys and altho I didn't realize it at the time, I'm sure they all hated some little girl brat trying to hang around with them. We would all play "hide and go seek" on both side of the block and had fun for hours. Well........I thought I was having fun for hours. They would tell me to go hide and I always thought I had the greatest hiding place ever. What I didn't know is they were NEVER searching for me :curse:. Brothers, you gotta love 'em :rotfl:

Last edited:

Rollerbob

Ok, here is my brother, sister story..............I come from a family of seven kids, we were poor and lived in a two bedroom home. Mom and Dad slept in one bedroom and you guest it the rest slept in the other. I would alway make a point to play out as late as possible so I could sleep on top!!:smile-big:

workinforwood

Ok, top this! There was a field down the street with a canal that ran by it. I was playing in the field, I lifted a big rock and there were dozens of garter snakes under it. I ran home and gathered up as many jars as I could find. I collected all the snakes from that rock into jars. I searched every rock and log in the field until I collected every snake. I must have had 300 or more snakes, most of them babies, but yes, I caught mom and dad snakes too! I brought them all home and put them in the basement. I was not good at screwing lids onto jars. The next morning I awoke to my mother screaming her head off! All the snakes escaped...not that she knew I caught and brought home all these snakes in the first place. There were snakes in every place you could think of, including in the washing machine. Dead snakes showed up for months after that, so I'm told.:embarrassed:

I am the youngest of five boys, when I was two I could lift a cast iron frying a few inches but then I would let it fall, well my older brothers tied my next youngest bother to a chair sat me on a table with the frying pan in my hands and resting on my brothers head, then told me to pick up the pan, my Mom came in to the room to find me beating my brother on the head and nobody else around, amazingly I didn't get in any trouble. We had a little generator my Dad had removed from an old Army telephone, when my oldest brother was baby sitting us one time he fell asleep and my brothers hooked it up to him and gave him a shock, my parents came home to find him sleeping in front of the bathroom door and the rest of us in the bathroom, it was the only room in the house with a lock on the door. My mother went gray at a very young age, my mother would pull our hair as punishment, my brothers are all bald, but I still have a full head of hair, needless to say I learned a lot from watching my brothers, not saying I was always good I just didn't get caught as often:biggrin:

Longfellow

Anniversary

When I was about 13 my parents had a few friends over to celebrate their wedding anniversary. It was February in New York. My father had bought two gallon bottles of wine. The get together was in the living room and I, being a good son, would offer to refill the glasses as they were emptied. Needless to say each time I did this I would take a gulp of wine. Didn't take long and I was crocked. When my parents realized how drunk I was they sent me to bed upstairs. As soon as my head hit the pillow it started spinning and my stomache was feeling queasy. I knew that wine was about to erupt up and out of my mouth. I opened the window which faced North and heaved and heaved. The house had a grey asbestos siding on it. Next day my grandfather ,who lived next door came over and asked what that huge purple streak on the wall was. Some of it had even frozen the the shingles. I spent a long time , days and days, on a ladder scrubbing that wall. I also had some left in my stomache and it wound up on the quilt on the bed. Next morning I was in the basement with the worse hangover hand scrubbing that quilt. Took years and years before I could even tolerate the smell of wine.

LizardSpit

My Dad worked for Ma Bell (before the break up). Back before cell phones the world was peppered with pay phones (back ground for you young ones). One day my Dad brought home a pay phone and mounted it to the wall at the end of the hall where us kids slept (I am the oldest of 6). My next younger brother and I found out very soon where the coin box key was kept. We also found out very soon that Dad had disabled the coin mechanism so calls did not cost. Of course we did not tell the other 4 kids. My brother and I had a constant supply of pennies and nickels for several years. My brother has the phone in his office now!

Top Bottom